Dismissing Opposition Leader Peter Dutton's suggestion that the prime minister cancel the referendum if he loses confidence in its prospects of succeeding, Anthony Albanese restates his challenge: if not now, when?
abc.net.au/news/prime-minister-commits-to-holding-voice-referendum-this-year/102516842The prime minister has reiterated his commitment to holding a referendum on an Indigenous Voice to Parliament later this year, rejecting suggestions from the opposition that it should be abandoned if success becomes uncertain.
During a fiery debate in parliament on Thursday, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton called on the government to abandon its plans to stage the referendum if polling suggested the vote might fail. Mr Albanese was asked on Friday morning if he was fully committed to staging the referendum later this year, regardless of polling or community sentiment at the time."And as I've said now continually, the referendum will take place in the last quarter of this year."
"Our Prime Minister is making a decision at the moment which is dividing our country, not uniting our country."The Liberal leader has previously said his party would support constitutional recognition without a Voice, and that such a proposal would comfortably succeed at a referendum."I think the Prime Minister has made a catastrophic mistake here in starving detail from the Australian public," he said.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Dutton calls for PM to abandon ‘divisive’ Voice referendumPeter Dutton called on the Prime Minister to do what is 'in the country's best interests' and abandon the Voice to Parliament referendum, describing the failure to answer questions about the scope of the Voice as 'a con job'.
Read more »
Dutton calls for Voice referendum to be abandoned if government isn't confident of successOpposition Leader Peter Dutton warns the federal government it should abandon the Voice referendum if it is unconvinced the 'yes' campaign will succeed.
Read more »
Dutton accuses 'under pressure' PM of an 'unfounded personal attack' over VoicePeter Dutton has accused Anthony Albanese of an 'unfounded personal attack' as debate over the Voice heats up but the Prime Minister has doubled down on claims the Opposition Leader gave a speech lacking empathy.
Read more »
ChatGPT should pay to use media content, says oppositionChatGPT’s owner could pay millions of dollars to media outlets for using their content under a policy push from the Coalition, which is urging the federal government to become a leader in international efforts to regulate artificial intelligence.
Read more »
Paedophile cult leader faces court over alleged breach of supervision ordersWilliam Kamm, who refers to himself as 'Little Pebble' and founded a notorious doomsday cult on the NSW South Coast, applies for bail in the Supreme Court.
Read more »