Beyond the Breaking News

Possible Indictment of Former Cuban Leader Raul Castro for Shooting Down Civilian Planes in 1996

Cuba News

Possible Indictment of Former Cuban Leader Raul Castro for Shooting Down Civilian Planes in 1996
Raul CastroFormer Cuban LeaderIndictment

The indictment against Castro is related to the shooting down of two civilian planes 30 years ago that killed three Americans. The US government accused Castro of being the defense minister at the time of the incident.

Summary AI-generated summary was reviewed by a CNN editor. Former Cuba n leader Raul Castro could be indicted for his alleged role in the shooting down of two civilian planes 30 years ago that killed three Americans and sent US- Cuba relations plunging.

The planes belonging to a Miami-based volunteer organization called Brothers to the Rescue were shot down in 1996 – triggering the longstanding embargo on Cuba that remains in place today. Sources told CNN last week that federal prosecutors were looking into bringing charges against Castro, who was the island’s defense minister at the time of the 1996 incident.

The Department of Justice has said it will make an announcement in Miami on Wednesday in conjunction with a ceremony to honor those killed – but has not been explicit about what that announcement will be. News of the potential indictment comes as the Trump administration has become increasingly confrontational with Cuba, intensifying sanctions and imposing an oil blockade. Here’s what you need to know about the incident at the center of the potential indictment. What happened?

In the 1990s, Brothers to the Rescue carried out regular flights attempting to find and assist Cubans trying to sail to the US. On one such mission, on February 24, 1996, Cuban forces shot down two of their planes near to the Cuban coast, destroying them with heat-seeking missiles, according to Congress documents. Three American citizens and one resident of the US were killed. A third Brothers aircraft escaped.

In the immediate aftermath of the incident, the Cuban government accused Brothers to the Rescue of engaging in covert operations against the regime – allegations the US swiftly denied. According to the US government, the Brothers to the Rescue planes were unarmed and the volunteers aboard posed no threat to the Cuban government, military or population. Who are Brothers to the Rescue?

Brothers to the Rescue, which is no longer active, has in the past described itself as a pro-democracy humanitarian group dedicated to helping Cuban people free themselves from dictatorship, using nonviolent means. The volunteer activist group was founded in May 1991 by anti-regime Cuban exile Jose Basulto, who was on the plane that escaped, and made up of Cuban American pilots flying out of Miami area airports.

Its inception came after Cuban teenager Gregoria Perez Ricardo, who fled the communist-run island, died of severe dehydration while crossing the Florida Straits, according to the group. A memorial held at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida, on March 2, 1996, for the four Brothers to the Rescue pilots that were shot down.

They also dropped leaflets over Cuba criticizing the communist government of Fidel Castro, the country’s former revolutionary leader who made Cuba the first Communist country in the Western Hemisphere – and played a central role in the Cold War. During the Fidel Castro dictatorship, arbitrary arrests, brutal crackdowns on dissent, beatings, intimidation, and surveillance were common. Many of those trying to flee the island – some on makeshift rafts – wouldn’t survive the perilous journey across the Florida Straits.

How did the US respond? The US government swiftly condemned the shooting down of the two planes and just days later, President Bill Clinton signed the Cuban Liberty and Democratic Solidarity Act, also known as the Helms-Burton Act. The act tightened sanctions on Cuba and remains the basis of US embargos on the country. The law called for an act of Congress to lift any part of the embargo against Cuba.

Visas would be denied to anyone using or profiting from Cuban property – and to Cuban government employees and communist party members, under the law. On March 2, 1996, boats carry Cuban Americans off Key West, Florida, to the site of the downing of two Brothers to the Rescue planes by Cuban fighters a week previous.

The act also prohibited the US president from removing trade restrictions on the Caribbean nation until it legalizes political activity and commits to free and fair elections. It also prevented the US from lifting sanctions while Fidel Castro or his brother and successor Raul Castro were part of Cuba’s government.

“The response chosen by Fidel Castro, the use of lethal force, was completely inappropriate to the situation presented to the Cuban government, making such actions a blatant and barbaric violation of international law and tantamount to cold-blooded murder,” Congress said at the time, calling it a “premeditated act” that came after a major crackdown on a coalition of pro-democracy rights groups on the island. The 1996 act also enabled the US president – under certain conditions – to support and assist NGOs and individuals in democracy-building efforts.

US Ambassador to the UN Madeleine Albright condemned the Cuban pilots who had used the Spanish word for testicles on their radios to congratulate themselves after shooting down the planes.

“Frankly, this is not cojones,” she said. “This is cowardice. ” What was the fallout in Cuba? Fidel Castro took responsibility for the incident, saying he gave orders to his military to shoot down planes violating Cuba airspace.

The US insists the planes were downed in international airspace. Cuban representative to the UN Security Council at the time Bruno Rodriguez Parilla, asserted that Cuba had proof the two aircraft were in the country’s airspace and that prior to shooting them down, Cuban authorities had issued warnings to them, such as rocking their wings, which he said were ignored.

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro delivers a speech in September 2010 in Havana, marking the 50th anniversary of the country's neighborhood watchdog network, the Committees in Defense of the Revolution Days after the shootdown, then-Cuban Foreign Minister Roberto Robaina Gonzalez told the UN General Assembly that Brothers to the Rescue had plans to harm Cuba including sabotaging an oil refinery and targeting Cuban leaders.

“Today we are asking this assembly if the sovereign right to defend the borders and national security of countries is only a prerogative of the powerful and not of poor and small countries,” he said. The FBI later found that Cuban agents had infiltrated exile groups and fed information back to the Cuban government, including about the Brothers to the Rescue’s ill-fated February 24 mission.

Five Cuban spies were arrested in 1998 and later convicted on charges they had spied on prominent Cuban-American exile leaders and US military bases. During his presidency US President Barack Obama released them in a deal to restore relations with Cuba, with Havana releasing State Department contractor Alan Gross. How is it remembered? Cuban exiles and regime critics like Basulto were quick to call for justice, demanding Fidel Castro be indicted following the incident.

That sentiment among many Cuban-Americans hasn’t changed, though Fidel Castro died in 2016. Cuban-American Republican lawmakers have since pushed the Justice Department to bring charges against Raul Castro. In a February letter to then-Attorney General Pam Bondi, lawmakers including Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart urged the Justice Department to prosecute Raul Castro, citing evidence including reports that there is a recording of radio traffic that indicates he ordered the shoot-down.

Former Cuba leader Raul Castro arrives the May Day march in Havana on May 1 But some Cubans stand behind their government’s actions from decades ago, insisting it was a matter of safeguarding national security – and that Raul Castro shouldn’t be punished for it.

“I believe that was an invasion, however you look at it, and we have to defend ourselves because if any plane had flown past the Twin Towers, and they’d known it was going to be sabotaged, they would have shot it down,” Havana resident Eliecer Diaz told Reuters. “I think that’s only logical. Cuba did the right thing. ”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CNN /  🏆 4. in US

Raul Castro Former Cuban Leader Indictment Shooting Down Of Civilian Planes Brothers To The Rescue Cuban Government Forces US-Cuba Relations Embargo Embargo On Cuba Cold War Cold-Blooded Murder Violation Of International Law Global Law

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Grand jury indictment unsealed in 2024 attack outside Pico-Robertson synagogueGrand jury indictment unsealed in 2024 attack outside Pico-Robertson synagogueA federal grand jury indictment was unsealed Monday in the investigation into a 2024 attack on a Jewish man outside a synagogue in Los Angeles’ Pico-Robertson area. The June 23, 2024 attack was reported during an event at the Adas Torah Synagogue called “My Home in Israel,” around which a pro-Palestinian protest was organized.
Read more »

Trump Administration's Indictment of Southern Poverty Law Center to Silence Dissent - CoalitionTrump Administration's Indictment of Southern Poverty Law Center to Silence Dissent - CoalitionA coalition of organizations accuses the Trump administration of targeting the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as part of a broader campaign to limit freedom of speech and silence dissent among watchdog groups.
Read more »

Timeline of recent US-Cuba relations amid heightened tensions in Trump’s second termTimeline of recent US-Cuba relations amid heightened tensions in Trump’s second termThe Justice Department is preparing to seek an indictment of Raúl Castro.
Read more »

DOJ reveals indictment of Chinese defendants for alleged antitrust violations amid COVIDDOJ reveals indictment of Chinese defendants for alleged antitrust violations amid COVIDThe Justice Department revealed an indictment that had been previously sealed regarding seven Chinese executives and four shipping container manufacturers.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-22 03:52:30