Reporter at News 5 Cleveland
CLEVELAND — Almost a quarter of all Ohio households get their home internet at low or no cost through the Affordable Connectivity Program , but that program runs out of money with the close of the month on Friday.
The White House announced Friday voluntary commitments to customers from over a dozen internet service providers to offer plans at $30 or less to low-income households through 2024 so that families across America can continue accessing low-cost internet."Which helps people for a period of six months, if they qualify, to keep that bill at $0, that's for a limited time only and then after that it can be $20 per month," said Jeff Kew, Verizon's Great Lakes communications manager."It's going to crush me, it's going to change my lifestyle," said James Schultz of Lakewood. The Navy veteran is on a fixed income and has relied on the $ 30-a-month discount on his internet bill provided under the ACP, which has been his lifeline. "Ordering my meds, checking my test results, my housing is going to be a pain in the butt because they went digital," he said. With the program out of money, Schultz has spent this past week looking for other options. One provider quoted him $50 a month.Like so many, he was at his wits end but was happy to learn Friday that along with big names like Spectrum, Cox and Comcast taking part in the program is his provider AT&T, which was confirmed in a phone call.His concern now is this new discount will expire before Congress acts. Ohio Senators Sherrod Brown and JD Vance are cosponsors of a bipartisan, bicameral bill to fund an extension of the ACP, which Vance told News 5 earlier this month will eventually pass. "We're working on this in multiple angles and you know look whether this thing lapses for a few days or a few months I do think we're going to find a way to re-authorize the program," said Vance."But the longer it lapses the worse it is for the people of Ohio."
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Over 1.5 million Texans may lose internet after Affordable Connectivity Program expiresA federal program that has provided low or no-cost internet for roughly 23 million American households is about to end.The Affordable Connectivity Program, a pa
Read more »
Funding for the Affordable Connectivity Program runs out impacting 423,000 Hoosier householdsMeredith Hackler joined WRTV as a Multi-Media Journalist and Reporter in February of 2022.
Read more »
How Congress is letting die an internet connectivity lifeline for millionsMore than half of the U.S. House supports extending funding for internet connectivity, but the effort was stymied.
Read more »
FCC will partially cover payments for the Affordable Connectivity Program for one monthAccording to the FCC, unless Congress adds funding for the program, it will end in May 2024.
Read more »
The Affordable Connectivity Program Has a Lifeline in the SenateThe ACP provided a broadband subsidy for millions of Americans. Now Congress has a plan to reinstate it.
Read more »
The pandemic-era Affordable Connectivity Program is officially endingThe Affordable Connectivity Program offered subsidies for low-income households to access high-speed internet plans, but Congress failed to fund it.
Read more »



