International response mobilised as WHO declares Ebola outbreak a public health emergency

Health News

International response mobilised as WHO declares Ebola outbreak a public health emergency
EbolaBundibugyo StrainDRC

Health authorities from the WHO, UN and US CDC are coordinating efforts to contain a new Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo strain in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, where dozens of deaths and hundreds of suspected cases have been reported and American citizens are being evacuated.

An international effort is underway to contain an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda that has infected hundreds of people and caused dozens of suspected deaths, as the United States looks to relocate a “small number” of its citizens affected.

On Sunday, the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern. ” The latest outbreak does not yet meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned the high positivity rate and increasing number of cases and deaths across health zones point toward “a potentially much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported.

” The United Nations health body said there have been at least 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases reported as of Saturday in the DRC’s remote northeastern Ituri province. In neighboring Uganda, two laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, have so far been reported in the country’s capital Kampala, WHO reported.

A man is carried from an ambulance as he arrives at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain in Bunia, Ituri province, on May 16, 2026. The latest outbreak is being driven by the Bundibugyo strain, one of several viruses that can cause Ebola disease, WHO said. The WHO has called the outbreak “extraordinary” as there are currently no approved treatments or vaccines specific to the Bundibugyo virus.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Sunday it was supporting interagency partners with efforts to relocate “a small number of Americans who are directly affected” by the outbreak. It comes after several Americans in the DRC were believed to have been exposed to the virus, including some deemed high risk, health news outlet STAT reported Sunday.

CNN could not independently verify the reports and has reached out to the CDC and the US Department of State for comment. Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola Response Incident Manager declined on Sunday to say whether any Americans were among those who had been infected. At a press briefing, he said the CDC was “actively assessing the situation on the ground and we aren’t going to comment on individual disposition.

” Staff members at CBCA Virunga Hospital prepare rooms intended for possible suspected Ebola cases following official announcements in Goma, on May 17, 2026. A health worker wearing protective gear walks outside the a hospital in Bunia, on May 16, 2026.

The CDC said it is deploying resources from the agency’s offices — who were already in the country — to help with efforts including surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing, and will mobilize additional support from the agency’s headquarters in Atlanta. Pillai said the CDC was unaware of any exposure on international flights and noted that both countries have exit screening measures in place to prevent spread of the virus through travel.

International coordination is being ramped up to prevent the epidemic’s spread as experts warn of “extremely concerning” conditions. Nearly 7 tonnes of emergency medical supplies and equipment along with a team of 35 experts from WHO and DRC Ministry of Health experts arrived today in Bunia from Kinshasa to support frontline Ebola response in Ituri Province, on May 17, 2026.

About seven metric tons of emergency medical supplies, including protective equipment, tents and beds, arrived in the Ituri capital Bunia on Sunday to “help scale up frontline response efforts,” according to the WHO. And non-governmental organizations like Doctors Without Borders, or Médecins Sans Frontières , are also preparing to launch large-scale responses as quickly as possible. Related article Staff members at CBCA Virunga Hospital prepare rooms intended for possible Ebola cases following official announcements in Goma on Sunday.

What we know about the latest Ebola outbreak after WHO declares global health emergency 5 min read This is the 17th Ebola outbreak in the DRC since the virus was first identified in 1976, according to WHO. The fatality rate involving the Bundibugyo strain is estimated to be between 25% and 40%, according to MSF. Ebola symptoms include fever, muscle pain and rash.

The virus is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, including the handling of contaminated materials or someone who has died from the disease. CNN’s Ben Tinker, Nadia Kounang and Billy Stockwell contributed reporting.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CNN /  🏆 4. in US

Ebola Bundibugyo Strain DRC Uganda WHO Emergency

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

World Health Organization declares Ebola outbreak in Congo a global health emergencyWorld Health Organization declares Ebola outbreak in Congo a global health emergencyHealth officials are working to contain a new Ebola outbreak in the DRC of a virus strain with no known vaccine.
Read more »

World Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernWorld Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernThe World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern due to 80 suspected deaths. The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, which is considered 'extraordinary' as there are no approved therapeutics or vaccines specific to this strain unlike for Ebola-Zaire. Uganda reported two lab-confirmed cases and a death from DRC-travellers.
Read more »

World Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernWorld Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernThe World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern due to 80 suspected deaths. The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, which does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency. However, countries sharing land borders with DRC are at risk of further spread.
Read more »

World Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernWorld Health Organisation Declares Ebola Outbreak in DRC, Uganda an Emergency of International ConcernThe World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern due to 80 suspected deaths. The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, which does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency. However, countries sharing land borders with DRC are at risk of further spread.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-18 08:01:08