UK Holidaymakers Held on French Cruise Ship Amid Norovirus Outbreak

Health News

UK Holidaymakers Held on French Cruise Ship Amid Norovirus Outbreak
Cruise ShipNorovirus OutbreakBordeaux

The Adventure cruise ship docked in Bordeaux, with a majority of British or Irish passengers, had to confine 1,700 passengers and crew after one British elderly passenger died and 50 others showed symptoms of norovirus. Health officials are investigating the cause of death to know if the norovirus had anything to do with it. The ship had stopped at Belfast, Liverpool, and Brest before reaching Bordeaux.

Hundreds of Brits are being held on a French cruise ship after a passenger died and dozens more are showing symptoms of suspected norovirus. French authorities on Wednesday confined more than 1,700 passengers and crew on the Ambition cruise ship docked in Bordeaux .

One British elderly passenger died on May 10, while about 50 people have shown symptoms of norovirus, health officials said. The cause of death of the 92-year-old passenger has yet to be established pending a coroner's report, Ambassador Cruise Line told the Daily Mail. The Ambition ship - with a majority of the 1,233 passengers from Britain or Ireland - arrived in the western port of Bordeaux on Tuesday.

The ship, which left the Shetland Islands on May 6, stopped in Belfast in Northern Ireland, Liverpool in Britain, and Brest in France before reaching Bordeaux, from where it was scheduled to depart for Spain. At 2am, a university hospital team was airlifted to the vessel at the port entrance to review patient records with the onboard staff. A second university team boarded at 5am to collect samples for analysis.

The Ambassador Cruise Line ship - with a majority of the 1,233 passengers from Britain or Ireland - arrived in the western port of Bordeaux on Tuesday See the ship's journey below Health and maritime authorities have ordered all passengers to remain onboard the ship while waiting for hospital lab results. Norovirus is a form of gastroenteritis, which causes vomiting and diarrhoea and is highly contagious.

In a statement on social media, Ambassador Cruise Line confirmed the outbreak, adding that they 'take any illnesses onboard our ships extremely seriously.

' The firm added: 'Enhanced sanitation and prevention protocols were immediately implemented across the ship in line with established public health procedures following the initial reports of illness. 'The comprehensive health and safety measures introduced onboard include increased cleaning and disinfection measures in public areas, assisted service in selected dining venues and ongoing guidance to guests regarding hand hygiene.

' Medical staff are tending to passengers and crew, and all shore excursions are cancelled, with everyone instructed to remain on board, the statement added. It comes as the global community is currently dealing with a hantavirus outbreak linked to the luxury cruise ship MV Hondius, where three people have died and nine cases have been confirmed in total.

It was revealed on Wednesday that a British tourist who boarded a plane with a woman who later died from hantavirus had been detained at an Italian bar and ordered to quarantine in hospital for a month - despite showing no symptoms and testing negative for the disease. The holidaymaker and his companion - who was not even on the flight in question - were apprehended outside the bar on Tuesday night and taken to Sacco Hospital in Milan by the authorities.

They have both been placed in quarantine until June 6, completing the 42-day isolation period required by the ministry of health. The British citizen, who is in his 60s, had boarded the same Airlink flight from Saint Helena to Johannesburg as MV Hondius passenger Mirjam Schilperoord, 69, who later died, as well as a second person who later tested positive. Mirjam was the wife of Dutch ornithologist Leo Schilperoord, 70, who is believed to be 'patient zero'.

The couple became sick after visiting a landfill site in Argentina to watch birds. The UK government notified Italian authorities about the British tourist, who had visited various countries including Amsterdam before arriving in Milan, where his travel plans came to an abrupt halt. Because he had no private accommodation and was staying in a B&B, he will have to endure the whole of his quarantine in a single room in the Infectious Diseases ward of the hospital.

It comes as 10 Britons from South Atlantic islands linked to the cruise ship outbreak are set to be brought to the UK in case they develop the illness, officials have revealed. The group, who are residents of the UK overseas territories of Saint Helena and Ascension Island, are being flown to Britain to complete their self-isolation.

All those involved are British and are understood to include people who left the cruise ship in Saint Helena, plus medical staff who have been in contact with them. The UK Health Security Agency said the total included four individuals in Saint Helena who were on the cruise ship and six close contacts on Ascension Island.

None are symptomatic and their final destination in Britain is unknown, but the move was described as 'precautionary to support communities in UK overseas territories'. Once in Britain they will get access to NHS infectious disease specialists should they become ill, and the UKHSA said it will 'set out where they will isolate in due course'.

It comes as 20 British nationals from the MV Hondius, together with a German who is a UK resident, and a Japanese passenger, who have been isolating at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral in Merseyside prepare to leave the facility. They were taken there on Sunday night after the ship docked in Tenerife for a three-day isolation and assessment period. They will isolate for another 42 days at home.

The UKHSA said of this group: 'Public health and clinical specialists have assessed each passenger's individual circumstances, and, where it is safe and possible, tailored support packages will be provided to enable people to isolate at home.

'Health protection teams across the UK will continue to monitor and support everyone after they leave the facility, with daily contact throughout the isolation period to ensure they can isolate safely. ' The statement also said a 'small number of individuals who have been isolating at home or elsewhere in England' will also be assessed at the hospital. Previously, it was reported that two Britons who returned to the UK from the ship early have been isolating at home.

They contacted officials after hearing about the outbreak of hantavirus. It is understood that neither of these people have developed hantavirus symptoms but are going to stay at Arrowe Park while they continue to isolate. Professor Robin May, chief scientific officer at UKHSA, said: 'We are grateful to the passengers for their cooperation and patience in what we appreciate has been a very unsettling period for all involved.

British nationals arrive by coach at Arrowe Park Hospital on Sunday after being repatriated 'As this first assessment period concludes, our priority remains to ensure everyone is safe and well supported, wherever they complete their isolation. Our teams will continue to be there for all of the affected individuals every step of the way.

' Earlier, a statement from the Ascension Island Government said a 'small number of individuals currently on St Helena who travelled on the vessel have been assessed as higher risk'. It said: 'While the likelihood of illness remains low, UKHSA has advised that they should be the subject of pre-emptive relocation to the UK to complete their self-isolation. This is being arranged and they will be fully supported on arrival.

' One British man with hantavirus is still being cared for in Johannesburg and is thought to be improving, while another is in the Netherlands. Another British national has hantavirus and is isolating where he lives on the remote island of Tristan da Cunha.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

DailyMail /  🏆 86. in US

Cruise Ship Norovirus Outbreak Bordeaux UK Holidaymakers French Authorities

 

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Airlines slash flight prices to compete with holidaymakersAirlines slash flight prices to compete with holidaymakersAfter warnings about uncertainty caused by the war in the Middle East, consumers have delayed buying flights, leading to increased jet fuel prices and potential shortages. However, some European airlines have countered with lower prices, with fares for a week-long trip dropping by 10% or more for 27 of the top 50 European flight routes. Meanwhile, package holiday providers have slashed prices by £110 on average compared to last year.
Read more »

British holidaymakers face travel chaos in the summer jet fuel crisisBritish holidaymakers face travel chaos in the summer jet fuel crisisA Daily Mail investigation found that passengers' chances of disruption could depend heavily on the airline they booked with, with Jet2 and Ryanair at the top of the airline resilience rankings, while Turkish Airlines was at the bottom for its flight cancellations and disruptions.
Read more »

British Beef and Milk Adverts Banned for Misleading ClaimsBritish Beef and Milk Adverts Banned for Misleading ClaimsThe Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) banned adverts produced by the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) as they were deemed misleading in their claim that British beef and milk had a lower carbon footprint than other countries.
Read more »

British Government's Record-High Borrowing Costs Intensify Chaos and Raise Inflation ConcernsBritish Government's Record-High Borrowing Costs Intensify Chaos and Raise Inflation ConcernsThe British Government's cost of borrowing has hit historical highs, leading to increased borrowing costs and financial instability. The soaring interest rates have made it expensive for Labour to meet its profligate spending commitments, threatening the economic stability and wealth creation. The Labour Party's historical association with fiscal crises raises fears of a similar outcome.
Read more »



Render Time: 2026-05-19 09:43:38