The politically-charged news text provides detailed criticism of the British government's financial allocation to France to prevent migrants from crossing the English Channel. French political leaders admit they have 'no solution' to the significant problem of migrants arriving in the UK, and French politicians are likely to face anger from taxpayers and politicians. They also express disappointment with the government's handling of the issue.
French political leaders being given hundreds of millions of pounds of British taxpayers' cash to stop boat migrants have admitted they have 'no solution' and that extra police funding will 'not change anything'.
In extremely candid remarks, they have criticised a new £662million deal Britain signed with France at the end of last month to stop migrants crossing the Channel. It will see at least 50 riot-trained officers on the beaches and beefed up security. But the comments are likely to spark fury from British taxpayers and politicians, with Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp launching a fresh attack on the Government. They come as more than 200,000 have made the journey since 2018.
Alain Boonefaes, a deputy mayor in charge of security in Gravelines, told La Voix Du Nord newspaper: 'The money of the British will be used to secure a sector but we only move the pile of sand.
'It starts from everywhere. It is a subject that must be dealt with at the global level. We have no solution. There will always be an influx of people who want to join the UK.
' Antoine Benoit, the mayor of Audresselles, a commune nine miles west of Calais, was scathing about the extra officers that Britain had funded. He said: 'We have gendarmes driving all night – it will not change anything.
' He said he was 'disillusioned' and added: 'There is no political treatment of the problem. We are not listened to.
' Mr Philp told The Mail on Sunday the comments and funding showed Britain needs to leave the European Convention on Human Rights . Migrants board a small boat on Dunkirk beach earlier this month as French police watched on French officers stood on the beach as the migrants made their way on to the boat He said: 'This confirms what we have known all along.
Shabana Mahmood has handed over half a billion pounds of our money to the French, most of it without performance conditions – and it will make no difference whatsoever.
'Last year the French stopped barely a third of embarkation attempts, and even with those the illegal immigrants were released to try again the next day. 'I have even witnessed with my own eyes French police ushering illegal immigrants on to buses headed towards the beaches. 'Illegal immigrants crossing the channel are up 45 per cent since the election and Starmer has presided over more illegal crossings than any Prime Minister in history.
We need to leave the ECHR so all illegal immigrants can be deported within a week of arrival. Then the crossings would soon stop.
'That is the Conservative plan, but the Labour government is too weak to do it. ' One Dover-based fisherman said he did not think the French made any 'real' attempt to stop the boats. He said: 'It won't surprise me if there is not another 200,000. I see the French navy escort the migrants over.
There is no deterrent. If they wanted to, I think they could stop it tomorrow. But they don't. '
Politics Immigration Refugees & Asylum British Taxpayers Politicians French Politicians Migrants English Channel Channel Crossings Funding French Police Riot-Trained Officers Extra Police Funding Calais Gravelines Audresselles Shabana Mahmood Starmer Conservative Plan Labour Government Dover-Based Fisherman French Navy Deterrent European Convention On Human Rights
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
British Mother Appeals for Help After Toddler Allegedly Kidnapped in Cyprus by Abusive FatherA British mother has appealed for help after her toddler was allegedly kidnapped in Cyprus by his abusive father. The suspect, a 29-year-old Turkish national, was apprehended in Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus with a child. The child, 2, was snatched from Chloe Martin, 35, on Wednesday in the village of Apaisia. A 53-year-old accomplice was allegedly told to 'grab the child' before he was taken, according to local media. The alleged accomplice has also been arrested.
Read more »
The Hidden Cost of Holidays: Why the Proposed Visitor Levy Threatens British TourismButlin's leadership warns that the UK government's proposed overnight visitor tax will disproportionately impact working-class families and devastate local economies already struggling with high operational costs.
Read more »
British Wheelchair User Travels 10,000km Around AfricaOrlando Cardozo, a 25-year-old British man with Friedreich's ataxia, a degenerative condition affecting muscles and coordination, embarked on a journey of 10,000km around Africa, enduring challenging terrains, crowded buses, and remote villages. He completed the journey with the help of family and friends, relying on a wheelchair for mobility.
Read more »
British Mother Appeals for Help After Ex-Partner Allegedly Kidnapped Son in CyprusA distraught British mother has appealed for help after her 'abusive' ex-partner allegedly kidnapped their two-year-old son in Cyprus. Local police are hunting Ozer Ocakoglu, 29, who fled to Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus with the toddler after taking him from Chloe Martin, 35, on Wednesday morning.
Read more »
