Pakistan's largest city shuts schools for two weeks over virus fears

United States News News

Pakistan's largest city shuts schools for two weeks over virus fears
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 staronline
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 55 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 75%

KARACHI, Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistan's southern province of Sindh extended the closure of all educational institutions following the confirmation of a second coronavirus case in Karachi, the country's largest city.

Pakistan has confirmed four cases of coronavirus, three of them involving people who had travelled to neighbouring Iran, one of the countries hardest hit by the outbreak that began in China in December.

While two of the confirmed cased were in the southern port city of Karachi, the other two were in the capital Islamabad."The Sindh government has decided to keep the schools closed till March 13, so the isolation period of the suspect cases could be completed," Saeed Ghani, provincial education minister told Reuters on Monday."We don't want to take any risk."

Schools in Islamabad have remained open, but the thinly populated western province of Baluchistan, which borders Iran, closed its schools last week.Health Minister Zafar Mirza has said that government is gradually allowing pilgrims to return from Iran, after holding them in quarantine at the border for 14 days.

Around 700 pilgrims arrived in Karachi from Iran over the weekend, the Sindh chief minister's office said in a statement. We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

staronline /  🏆 4. in MY

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Global virus death toll tops 3,000 as second man dies in USBEIJING: The global death toll from the new coronavirus epidemic surpassed 3,000 on Monday after dozens more died at its epicentre in China and cases ...
Read more »

France shuts the Louvre as virus outbreak grips EuropeFrance shuts the Louvre as virus outbreak grips EuropeGlobal death toll almost at 3,000 with more than 88,000 in over 60 countries infected. FMTNews Louvre France
Read more »

Trump moves to calm virus fears after first death on US soilTrump moves to calm virus fears after first death on US soilUS president says America is prepared for any circumstance. FMTNews Trump Virus
Read more »

Federal Court to hear former election official’s appeal | The Malaysian InsightFormer returning officer for Rantau given two weeks to file case against contempt ruling.
Read more »

Most Asia markets rise as virus fears offset by bank support hopeAnalysts warn of further trading turmoil as governments struggle to contain outbreak. FMTNews Asia Market
Read more »

Sultan Azlan Shah Cup men's tournament postponed due to virus fearsOrganising chairman says rescheduling done to prevent any Covid-19 infection. FMTNews
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 04:16:28