Federal Workers Face 'Fork in the Road': Stay and Fight or Take Buyout

Politics News

Federal Workers Face 'Fork in the Road': Stay and Fight or Take Buyout
FEDERAL WORKERSBuyoutTrump ADMINISTRATION
  • 📰 BusinessInsider
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 222 sec. here
  • 11 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 113%
  • Publisher: 51%

The Trump administration has offered federal workers a controversial choice: return to in-person work and face potential downsizing, or quit and receive eight months of pay and benefits. The offer has sparked outrage and uncertainty among workers, many of whom feel betrayed and undervalued.

Shock and outrage. Hopelessness, suspicion, and defiance. Federal workers say they feel a mix of all of the above and more after payout offers landed in their inboxes late Tuesday. The Trump administration says workers can either return to the office full-time and face likely downsizing, or quit now and keep getting paid for the next eight months. \'I voted for Donald Trump twice, and on January 20th, I had hope that he would fulfill his promises,' one federal employee told Business Insider.

'However, when I received this email at 5:35 pm EST, that hope disappeared.'\A Social Security Administration employee said that workers aren't the only ones at risk. 'The public will suffer the most and the only group they can blame is the current one.' Or, as a 15-year veteran of the State Department put it: 'They can fuck off and we won't be intimidated.'\Business Insider spoke with more than a dozen workers at departments across the government in the hours after the email was sent. They requested anonymity to speak openly about their jobs. Their identities are known to BI. Some are digging in their heels. 'I have no intention of quitting,' one employee wrote in a text message. According to a 'deferred resignation offer' email sent by a White House office, workers have until February 6 to say whether they will voluntarily resign. If they decide to leave, they will be exempt from in-person work, according to the email, and will receive pay and benefits through September unless they decide to leave earlier. \'I certainly won't be accepting a buyout,' another employee said, adding that their teammates likely wouldn't either. 'It's unpatriotic that he's trying to put people out of work or provide incentives for people to leave their stable jobs.' 'I'm so sick of these stupid harassing emails,' they added. Others worry the administration won't stick to its word of steady pay and benefits through September — and aren't even sure the offer is actually a buyout, despite the language used in some media coverage. 'Suffice it to say the people I've been talking to don't trust how this will play out,' one Department of Justice worker said, adding that they didn't see a budgetary or legal mechanism that would guarantee continued compensation. The spotlight has encouraged at least one federal to look at the private sector. 'I will be seeking employment outside of government,' the worker said, though they caveated they might also look for a job in the Department of Defense or the Department of Homeland Security. 'I have no desire to work for an unappreciative organization.' Administration officials previously told CBS they believe up to 10% of federal workers would depart due to the new directives. Meanwhile, another is in wait-and-see mode. Trump's second term has only just started, the employee told BI, and they want to give the administration the benefit of the doubt. \The government has previously offered incentives for employees to leave as attempts to trim the federal workforce. In the 1990s, former President Clinton presented tens of thousands of workers with the option to leave their jobs. A lawyer who works for the federal government questioned why it didn't follow the precedent set by previous administrations. 'In the federal government, reductions in force are covered by a litany of laws and regulations,' said the lawyer, who specializes in employment issues. 'Workers get severance pay, career transition assistance or job search help, and preference for other positions in federal government. This veiled threat about being laid off — it's illegal, indefensible, and incorrect.' The American Federation of Government Employees, the biggest union for federal workers, published a FAQ on Wednesday telling members to not take the email 'at face value.' It was 'riddled with inconsistencies and uncertainties,' the union said, and it was unclear if the office that issued the memo had the legal authority or budget to make good on its promises. The National Treasury Employees Union President Doreen Greenwald urged federal workers to reject the 'request to voluntarily quit their jobs. It is a bad deal for employees and the American people they serve.'\The Tuesday email — which carries the same 'Fork in the Road' subject line as an Elon Musk memo sent to employees at X, then Twitter, in 2022 — is the latest in a string of chaos-causing, high-impact directives. On Monday, the Trump administration announced that it was putting a 'temporary pause' on federal grants and loans. A federal judge halted the freeze from taking effect before the administration itself rescinded the memo, BI reported. 'It's kind of like Whac-A-Mole. What do you respond to? Personally, I think I'm a little bit numb to it,' said one federal employee who has worked in facilities management for more than a decade. Federal workers have been a particular focus for the administration

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

BusinessInsider /  🏆 729. in US

FEDERAL WORKERS Buyout Trump ADMINISTRATION GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN LABOR RELATIONS POLITICAL OUTRAGE

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Trump Orders Federal Workers Back to Office by February or Face TerminationTrump Orders Federal Workers Back to Office by February or Face TerminationPresident Trump issued a mandate requiring federal employees to return to in-person work by early February or be terminated. This move aims to curtail remote work practices within the federal government. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has offered buyouts to employees who choose not to return to the office, but most employees will be expected to work in person five days a week. The president expressed confidence that a large number of employees will not return to in-person work, leading to a smaller and more efficient government.
Read more »

Trump administration will offer the roughly 2 million federal workers a buyout to resignTrump administration will offer the roughly 2 million federal workers a buyout to resignA senior administration official said they expect 5-10% of the federal workforce to quit
Read more »

White House to offer buyouts to federal workers who won't return to officeWhite House to offer buyouts to federal workers who won't return to officeToday's Business Headlines: 1/28/25
Read more »

What federal workers should know about Trump administration’s ‘deferred resignation’ offerWhat federal workers should know about Trump administration’s ‘deferred resignation’ offerHere’s what we know about the deferred resignation program offered to federal employees by the Trump administration.
Read more »

Trump Admin Offers Buyouts to Federal Workers, Hints at 'Downsizing'Trump Admin Offers Buyouts to Federal Workers, Hints at 'Downsizing'The Trump administration announced a sweeping initiative to reduce the federal workforce through voluntary buyouts and stricter conduct standards. President Trump, known for disrupting Washington norms, aims to significantly shrink the government, but the potential consequences remain unclear. The offer, open until February 6th, includes seven months of salary for departing employees. The move has sparked concerns about widespread disruptions to federal services and the economy.
Read more »

Trump Admin Offers Federal Workers 'Deferred Resignation' DealTrump Admin Offers Federal Workers 'Deferred Resignation' DealThe Trump Administration has offered federal workers the chance to resign with continued pay until September. This measure, aimed at reducing the federal workforce, has drawn criticism from unions. Notably, the email sent to federal workers carries the same subject line used by Elon Musk in a similar email to Twitter employees.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 03:01:58