Wealden District Council said it had found 'details in court papers revealing that two government departments have agreed between themselves to allow the camp the option to remain open until 2030'.
A camp for 600 asylum seekers is to 'stay open until 2030' despite assurances it would operate for no longer than 12 months. Council chiefs claim they have uncovered documents that reveal a secret deal between two government departments to keep housing migrants at the former Army training camp in Crowborough , East Sussex .
It is understood the departments are the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office. The first of up to 600 asylum seekers - all single male migrants - arrived at the camp in January, and residents have since taken to the streets in weekly protests. Councillors said they had repeatedly sought clarification from the Home Office about the long-term future of the camp, but had been left in the dark since day one.
On Wednesday, Wealden District Council said it had found 'details in court papers revealing that two government departments have agreed between themselves to allow the camp the option to remain open until 2030'. It added: 'This is despite repeated promises from the government . . . that the camp was only temporary and would be open for no longer than 12 months.
' Councillor Michael Lunn said he believed the Home Office was extending the lifespan of the camp to recoup costs which he claimed were four times that of putting migrants in hotels. Locals in Crowborough on February 2, protesting against asylum seekers being housed at a military site nearby
Crowborough Government Departments Home Office Ministry Of Defence East Sussex Army Protest Asylum Seekers Long-Term Future Ministry Of Defence
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Ministers accused of 'backsliding' on parliamentary order of Peter Mandelson documentsThe Chief Secretary to the Prime Minister acknowledged delays in publishing documents concerning Peter Mandelson's appointment as US ambassador coinciding with redacted files, withheld due to various reasons, including national security and public interest. He tried to justify the delay by stating that the Government is dealing with the release with 'other public interest issues, such as our duty of care to junior staff', and said the second tranche would be published after Whitsun recess. This came after Sir Keir Starmer earlier rebuked the Government for withholding key files and redacting important details.
Read more »
Rashee Rice violates probation, ordered to serve jail time, court documents sayKansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice tested positive for THC, according to Dallas County court documents, a violation of his probation for charges related to a multi-car crash in Dallas more than two years ago. The documents say he will be ordered to serve 30 days in jail and be released on June 16.
Read more »
Man accused of shooting, killing ex's new husband in Edgewater, court documents sayA man has been accused of shooting and killing his ex-husband's new husband on Chicago's North Side, police said.
Read more »
What scientists are uncovering about the most debilitating form of PMS1 in 10 women experience premenstrual dysphoric disorder, or PMDD. Emerging studies are reshaping how experts understand the condition—and how to treat it.
Read more »
