As a nationwide trend on social media continues to grow, businesses and malls in Houston are taking measures to protect their premises from chaotic gatherings involving teenagers. Activities like skating rinks have been reporting incidents of mace usage, fights, arrests, and police involvement. Both Memorial City Mall and Willowbrook Mall have also implemented temporary youth curfews to address the potential takeover events.
A nationwide trend organized on social media called " Teen Takeover " is becoming a growing concern in the Houston area, prompting businesses and malls to tighten security measures.
FOX 26's Jillian Hartmann explains why skating rinks are preparing. A nationwide trend organized on social media called"Teen Takeover" is becoming a growing concern in the Houston area. Employees say a takeover at the rink on April 18 turned chaotic, ending with a girl being maced and police being called.
Across the country, the gatherings typically involve large groups of teenagers gathering at malls and other businesses. In some cases, the crowds have led to chaos, property damage, fights, arrests, injuries, and major disruptions for businesses and guests. Employees say a takeover at the rink on April 18 ended with a girl being maced and police being called.
"I had about 200 minors show up to the skating rink, had a good time at first, but at the end of the night, we had to break out a fight," said general manager Andrew Canales. "Mace got sprayed, and some minors started yelling gun just as a prank, so we had to shut down an hour early," said Canales. "We are a family skating rink.
We want all the families to be here, and for them to see something like this, could scare them away, and definitely lose money in that factor.
""There was another post on social media that there was going to be another teen takeover, so what we did was repost it with the word ‘canceled’ on it. We said we were implementing policies that there would be no minor drop-offs for only that day, and it seemed to have stopped the event," said Colby Malone, general manager.
Dairy Ashford Roller Rink posted a message on social media warning customers that a potential takeover event had been shared online for Saturday, May 16. In response, the rink says it will strictly enforce its chaperone policy to help ensure guest safety. According to the policy, all guests ages 17 and younger must be accompanied by a chaperone who is at least 21 years old. IDs will be checked at the door, and security personnel will be on site.
Both Memorial City Mall and Willowbrook Mall recently implemented temporary youth curfews due to fears of possible takeover events. Willowbrook Mall has since extended its Saturday afternoon curfew until further notice.
Teen Takeover Houston Scrolling Gathering Implemented Single-Age Restricted Access Counselor
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Cowboys Tease 2026 NFL Schedule Release Video With Creepy 'Tyler Takeover'The Dallas Cowboys' 2026 NFL regular season schedule will be released on Thursday night, but the social media team is already preparing for the official drop.
Read more »
Gen Z is bringing back the mall and finding deals in the processJane Caffrey joined ABC15 September 2024 as a multimedia journalist. She is passionate about listening to concerns and digging deep to find answers and taking an in-depth look at crucial topics.
Read more »
World Cup Fever Is Fueling Fashion’s Soccer Style TakeoverSoccer style is about to be everywhere thanks to the FIFA World Cup. Here's how women are reinterpreting the look with feminine-infused styling.
Read more »
Employee pepper-sprayed during smash-and-grab at Concord's Sunvalley mall, police sayPolice in Concord said they are searching for several suspects following a smash-and-grab robbery at a mall Wednesday afternoon, in which an employee was pepper sprayed.
Read more »
