The news text discusses the criticism of Elon Musk and the Trump administration for cutting Ebola prevention efforts and other public health programs, leading to a weakened disease surveillance and response capability. The WHO Director General warns of the global threat and the potential consequences of such cuts.
Trump-Musk Gutting of Ebola Prevention Remembered as WHO Warns Scale of Outbreak 'Deeply' Concerning "Trump has deliberately left us the opposite of prepared by gutting Ebola and pandemic-preparedness infrastructure at home and abroad," said one public health advocate.to enact ill-informed and devastating cuts to key federal agencies and programs, those decisions would have real and deadly consequences for the nation and the world.
Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hosting an emergency media Tuesday to stem the global threat, videos of Musk bragging about how Trump's so-calledWhile Musk claims in his remarks that the mistake was quickly identified—"I think we all want Ebola prevention," he said—and that the funding was restored "immediately" and that there were "no interruptions" in the prevention efforts or program, later reporting found this was not the case. , "current and former USAID officials said that Musk was wrong: USAID’s Ebola prevention efforts have been largely halted since Musk and his DOGE allies moved to gut the global-assistance agency and freeze its outgoing payments.
") were no longer "allowed to go to meetings with the , something they would have done in every single outbreak of Ebola—or other viral hemorrhagic fever disease–to date," Spencer says. "From top to bottom, none of the things that they have canceled have been put back in place. " Elon Musk says DOGE accidentally cut USAID's Ebola prevention efforts but then they were restored with "no interruption.
"The state of USAID plainly shows that any disease prevention efforts supported by the U.S. at this point are merely symbolic. Jeremy Konyndyk, the former lead of USAID's Ebola response team that handled an outbreak of the disease in 2024, said the same. International, explained last year to NPR that nearly every member of highly-trained team focused on high risk outbreaks was "pushed out of the agency, and they have not been brought back.
" "The whole disaster response capability at USAID no longer exists," he said. "All of those people are gone. The operation centers that they worked out of are shut down. They can't even access thein March of 2025 that while USAID previously "had more than 50 staffers dedicated to outbreak response," the cuts enforced by DOGE "left just six people to handle Ebola, Marburg virus, mpox and bird flu" preparedness operations.
The Trump administration’s withdrawal of health funding that once helped support outbreak detection across parts of Africa represents the kind of cuts that contribute to the erosion of disease-surveillance systems. By the time Ebola was identified, suspected cases and unexplained deaths had already spread across multiple health zones near the Ugandan border. Such systems built with international aid often serve multiple purposes: tracking outbreaks, transporting laboratory samples and monitoring unexplained illnesses in remote regions.
When funding disappears, those networks weaken quickly.global Ebola coordinator, said Trump's failures are already plain to see and that the ongoing public health threat, whether abroad or in the “If history is any guide, the administration must be fully vigilant and prepared to deal with the potential of this deadly disease reaching America’s shores, or the situation could get ugly fast,” saidshuttered USAID and cut themselves off from WHO’s global resources—destroying our disease surveillance and response capability just so billionaires could have another tax break.
" "Whether it’s measles, Hantavirus, or Ebola," he said, "the deep Trump cuts to research, public health staff and infrastructure have left the nation ten steps behind–always putting out public health fires rather than preventing them. ” As Sen. Patty Murray said back in February of 2025: "If Ebola, Margurg, or any other infectious disease makes it to our shores, it will be thanks to Elon and Trump—two billionaires without a clue, who are positively smug about their own ignorance.
" It’s been nearly 30 years since I co-founded Common Dreams with my late wife, Lina Newhouser. We had the radical notion that journalism should serve the public good, not corporate profits. It was clear to us from the outset what it would take to build such a project. No paid advertisements.
No corporate sponsors. No millionaire publisher telling us what to think or do. Together with a tremendous team of journalists and dedicated staff, we built an independent media outlet free from the constraints of profits and corporate control. Our mission has always been simple: To inform.
To inspire. To ignite change for the common good. Building Common Dreams was not easy. Our survival was never guaranteed.
When you take on the most powerful forces—Wall Street greed, fossil fuel industry destruction, Big Tech lobbyists, and uber-rich oligarchs who have spent billions upon billions rigging the economy and democracy in their favor—the only bulwark you have is supporters who believe in your work. But here’s the urgent message from me today. It's never been this bad out there. And it's never been this hard to keep us going.
At the very moment Common Dreams is most needed, the threats we face are intensifying. We need your support now more than ever. We don't accept corporate advertising and never will. We don't have a paywall because we don't think people should be blocked from critical news based on their ability to pay.
Everything we do is funded by the donations of readers like you. When everyone does the little they can afford, we are strong. But if that support retreats or dries up, so do we.to enact ill-informed and devastating cuts to key federal agencies and programs, those decisions would have real and deadly consequences for the nation and the world.
Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hosting an emergency media Tuesday to stem the global threat, videos of Musk bragging about how Trump's so-calledWhile Musk claims in his remarks that the mistake was quickly identified—"I think we all want Ebola prevention," he said—and that the funding was restored "immediately" and that there were "no interruptions" in the prevention efforts or program, later reporting found this was not the case. , "current and former USAID officials said that Musk was wrong: USAID’s Ebola prevention efforts have been largely halted since Musk and his DOGE allies moved to gut the global-assistance agency and freeze its outgoing payments.
") were no longer "allowed to go to meetings with the , something they would have done in every single outbreak of Ebola—or other viral hemorrhagic fever disease–to date," Spencer says. "From top to bottom, none of the things that they have canceled have been put back in place. " Elon Musk says DOGE accidentally cut USAID's Ebola prevention efforts but then they were restored with "no interruption.
"The state of USAID plainly shows that any disease prevention efforts supported by the U.S. at this point are merely symbolic. Jeremy Konyndyk, the former lead of USAID's Ebola response team that handled an outbreak of the disease in 2024, said the same. International, explained last year to NPR that nearly every member of highly-trained team focused on high risk outbreaks was "pushed out of the agency, and they have not been brought back.
" "The whole disaster response capability at USAID no longer exists," he said. "All of those people are gone. The operation centers that they worked out of are shut down. They can't even access thein March of 2025 that while USAID previously "had more than 50 staffers dedicated to outbreak response," the cuts enforced by DOGE "left just six people to handle Ebola, Marburg virus, mpox and bird flu" preparedness operations.
The Trump administration’s withdrawal of health funding that once helped support outbreak detection across parts of Africa represents the kind of cuts that contribute to the erosion of disease-surveillance systems. By the time Ebola was identified, suspected cases and unexplained deaths had already spread across multiple health zones near the Ugandan border. Such systems built with international aid often serve multiple purposes: tracking outbreaks, transporting laboratory samples and monitoring unexplained illnesses in remote regions.
When funding disappears, those networks weaken quickly.global Ebola coordinator, said Trump's failures are already plain to see and that the ongoing public health threat, whether abroad or in the “If history is any guide, the administration must be fully vigilant and prepared to deal with the potential of this deadly disease reaching America’s shores, or the situation could get ugly fast,” saidshuttered USAID and cut themselves off from WHO’s global resources—destroying our disease surveillance and response capability just so billionaires could have another tax break.
" "Whether it’s measles, Hantavirus, or Ebola," he said, "the deep Trump cuts to research, public health staff and infrastructure have left the nation ten steps behind–always putting out public health fires rather than preventing them. ” As Sen. Patty Murray said back in February of 2025: "If Ebola, Margurg, or any other infectious disease makes it to our shores, it will be thanks to Elon and Trump—two billionaires without a clue, who are positively smug about their own ignorance.
"to enact ill-informed and devastating cuts to key federal agencies and programs, those decisions would have real and deadly consequences for the nation and the world. Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hosting an emergency media Tuesday to stem the global threat, videos of Musk bragging about how Trump's so-calledWhile Musk claims in his remarks that the mistake was quickly identified—"I think we all want Ebola prevention," he said—and that the funding was restored "immediately" and that there were "no interruptions" in the prevention efforts or program, later reporting found this was not the case.
, "current and former USAID officials said that Musk was wrong: USAID’s Ebola prevention efforts have been largely halted since Musk and his DOGE allies moved to gut the global-assistance agency and freeze its outgoing payments.
") were no longer "allowed to go to meetings with the , something they would have done in every single outbreak of Ebola—or other viral hemorrhagic fever disease–to date," Spencer says. "From top to bottom, none of the things that they have canceled have been put back in place. " Elon Musk says DOGE accidentally cut USAID's Ebola prevention efforts but then they were restored with "no interruption.
"The state of USAID plainly shows that any disease prevention efforts supported by the U.S. at this point are merely symbolic. Jeremy Konyndyk, the former lead of USAID's Ebola response team that handled an outbreak of the disease in 2024, said the same. International, explained last year to NPR that nearly every member of highly-trained team focused on high risk outbreaks was "pushed out of the agency, and they have not been brought back.
" "The whole disaster response capability at USAID no longer exists," he said. "All of those people are gone. The operation centers that they worked out of are shut down. They can't even access thein March of 2025 that while USAID previously "had more than 50 staffers dedicated to outbreak response," the cuts enforced by DOGE "left just six people to handle Ebola, Marburg virus, mpox and bird flu" preparedness operations.
The Trump administration’s withdrawal of health funding that once helped support outbreak detection across parts of Africa represents the kind of cuts that contribute to the erosion of disease-surveillance systems. By the time Ebola was identified, suspected cases and unexplained deaths had already spread across multiple health zones near the Ugandan border. Such systems built with international aid often serve multiple purposes: tracking outbreaks, transporting laboratory samples and monitoring unexplained illnesses in remote regions.
When funding disappears, those networks weaken quickly.global Ebola coordinator, said Trump's failures are already plain to see and that the ongoing public health threat, whether abroad or in the “If history is any guide, the administration must be fully vigilant and prepared to deal with the potential of this deadly disease reaching America’s shores, or the situation could get ugly fast,” saidshuttered USAID and cut themselves off from WHO’s global resources—destroying our disease surveillance and response capability just so billionaires could have another tax break.
" "Whether it’s measles, Hantavirus, or Ebola," he said, "the deep Trump cuts to research, public health staff and infrastructure have left the nation ten steps behind–always putting out public health fires rather than preventing them. ” As Sen. Patty Murray said back in February of 2025: "If Ebola, Margurg, or any other infectious disease makes it to our shores, it will be thanks to Elon and Trump—two billionaires without a clue, who are positively smug about their own ignorance.
"The 1% own and operate the corporate media. They are doing everything they can to defend the status quo, squash dissent and protect the wealthy and the powerful. The Common Dreams media model is different. We cover the news that matters to the 99%.
Our mission? To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.
How? Nonprofit. Independent. Reader-supported.
Free to read. Free to republish. Free to share. With no advertising.
No paywalls. No selling of your data. Thousands of small donations fund our newsroom and allow us to continue publishing. Can you chip in?
Trump Administration Elon Musk Ebola Prevention WHO Disease Surveillance Response Capability Public Health Threat Measles Hantavirus Ebola Margurg Infectious Disease Corporate Profits Corporate Sponsors Millionaire Publisher Radical Notion Independent Media Outlet Building Common Dreams Survival Wall Street Greed Fossil Fuel Industry Destruction Big Tech Lobbyists Uber-Rich Oligarchs
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Key Developments: Ebola Outbreak & Trump-British Royals Encounter in WashingtonThis news text highlights several key developments, including: a global health emergency declared by the WHO for the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda, a Senate parliamentarian's decision to block a $1 billion security proposal for the White House, and events taking place in Toronto, one of the most diverse cities in the world, that will host six World Cup games. Additionally, there are updates on the demand for cruises, a record-breaking driving feat across Africa, conflicting advice on mammograms, and a rare photo of the President and First Lady waiting for the visiting British royals.
Read more »
Trump voluntarily drops $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS over his leaked tax recordsTrump, two of his sons and the Trump Organization filed the lawsuit in January.
Read more »
Ebola and hantavirus have Africa talking 'health sovereignty' as donor support fadesA new Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda is highlighting Africa's struggle with reduced international aid.
Read more »
Trump Administration Settles Trump Lawsuit With $1.8B Fund For Trump AlliesPresident Trump’s supporters have won Donald Trump’s legal fight against the Trump-controlled Justice Department. Congrats to everyone.
Read more »
