Presenter Scott Mills has claimed that he was unfairly dismissed by the BBC after allegations of sexual abuse were made against him. His legal team has been corresponding with the broadcaster for weeks. Friends believe he was used as a scapegoat for recent scandals.
Radio 2 host Scott Mills is suing the BBC after it axed him following sexual abuse claims , The Mail on Sunday can reveal. Mills, 53, believes he was unfairly dismissed in March when new information came to light about historic allegations of serious sexual offences on a teenager.
His legal team at the London-based firm Level Law has been corresponding with the corporation, his employers for 28 years, for weeks. Friends of Mills believe he was used as a 'scapegoat' by the BBC's then outgoing director-general Tim Davie, who took a zero-tolerance approach after a string of recent scandals relating to Huw Edwards, Gregg Wallace and Jermaine Jenas. One said: 'Scott is devastated, but he is also furious.
He has lost not just his job but also something he loved over a police investigation which was dropped many years ago. He has lawyers. They are aggressive, and they are determined to get justice for him.
'Scott feels wronged, and there is a view that the BBC used him as a scapegoat to show that by sacking him the BBC has been cleaned up from past scandals such as Huw Edwards and Jimmy Savile. 'Essentially, Scott wants to clear his name. He wants to come out and tell his story but he can't do that until the legal fight comes to a close.
'Being fired has broken him. His mental health is in a very fragile place and, to him and his legal team, it feels totally unjustified, so they are fighting the BBC. There is an obvious claim for unfair dismissal here. Decisions like this ruin lives, and this one has ruined Scott's.
' Presenter Scott Mills left the BBC in March after hosting his final Radio 2 breakfast show He reportedly plans to take action against the BBC after friends told Katie Hind his life had been 'ruined' by the broadcaster's decision to fire him The BBC fired Mills – who would have been hosting last night's Eurovision coverage – when it says new information came to light about a police probe into alleged historic sex offences. In 2018, Mills was questioned on allegations relating to between 1997 and 2000, and the case was dropped the next year due to a lack of evidence.
It later emerged that the BBC was aware at the time – but the current management is said not to have been aware of the age of the alleged victim. In the days running up to his sacking, a man is believed to have approached BBC bosses – reportedly after he watched Channel 5's drama Power: The Downfall Of Huw Edwards – to inform them the youngster at the centre of the allegations was under 16.
Mr Davie told staff that new information had 'quite recently' come to light, which made the decision the broadcaster needed to make 'very clear'. The BBC said in a statement: 'In recent weeks, we obtained new information relating to Scott and we spoke directly with him.
As a result, the BBC acted decisively in line with our culture and values and terminated his contracts.
' Friends say Mills and his team are particularly furious he was sacked when the police investigation, and the subsequent new information, related to an allegation which dates back nearly 30 years and the police closed the investigation seven years ago. Mills also said in a statement that he fully cooperated with the investigation at the time. Mills, who previously presented the Radio 1 breakfast show, is being supported by his husband Sam Vaughan at their home in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.
He has been keeping a low profile since the last day of his radio show in March, but has been spotted walking his dog.
BBC Scott Mills Sexual Abuse Claims Axing Terminated Contracts Investigation Dropped New Information Culture And Values Host In Violent State Ruined Life Wronged Power
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Warren, Scott Propose Lifetime Lobbying Ban for Ex-LawmakersStephen Prager is a staff writer for Common Dreams.
Read more »
Mills and Manufacturers Bring Strategic Focus to Spring/Summer 2027 DenimWhile trade policies offer a rare moment of stability, the broader global denim landscape remains in flux as mills prepare for Spring/Summer 2027.
Read more »
Vance slams Maine Gov. Mills on welfare fraud during Bangor rallyVice President JD Vance took shots at Maine's Gov. Janet Mills during a campaign-style rally Thursday. He also advocated for former Gov. Paul LePage's bid for a seat in Congress.
Read more »
Vernon Kay Retains Top Spot as UK's Most Listened-To Radio Presenter Amid Personal TurmoilVernon Kay maintains his position as the UK's leading radio presenter with his BBC Radio 2 show ranking top for the second year, despite his high-profile split from wife Tess Daly after 23 years. The broadcaster holds the mid-morning slot, continuing Radio 2's dominance in listenership, while facing speculation about successor roles. The couple cited mutual respect and co-parenting as priorities following their amicable separation.
Read more »
