A 51-year-old Chicago man has been charged with kidnapping in a CTA bus hijacking earlier this week, Chicago police said Friday.
Lanell Fields has been charged with aggravated armed kidnapping, aggravated unlawful restraint and aggravated assault. A CTA bus driver was kidnapped at knifepoint early Wednesday morning on Chicago's Northwest Side, police said.
Fields was on a southbound No. 53 CTA bus just before 2:40 a.m. in the 2400-block of North Pulaski Road in Belmont Gardens when he pulled out a knife and demanded the bus not stop, Chicago police said. The bus driver, a 57-year-old woman, continued driving to the 900-block of North Clark Street on the Near North Side, where she escaped out a window after a bus supervisor located the vehicle, police said.
They drove about 6.5 miles after leaving the normal route. The suspect got off the bus and ran into Washington Park.
He was taken into custody in the 100-block of East Chestnut Street in the Gold Coast just before 3:20 a.m."She could see him through the mirror, what he was doing jabbing with the knife, like he was going to stab her, but only doing it in a motion like she could see through the mirror," said Michelle Townsend, 2nd VP, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 241. The bus was likely equipped with a clear cage to protect drivers, but the suspect was apparently able to get around the cage. INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER |
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
CTA bus driver kidnapped at knifepoint on NW Side, escaped on Near North Side: CPDSuspect arrested in Gold Coast, police say
Read more »
Man charged in shootout with Chicago police officers on South SideChicago police said tactical officers responded to a call of a person with a gun when they found a person matching the description in the South Chicago neighborhood on Monday evening.
Read more »
Chicago man charged after shootout with police officers on South SideA man has been charged after allegedly exchanging gunfire with Chicago police officers earlier this week on the South Side.
Read more »
Chicago dress shop broken into on NW Side, families left without prom outfitsAn investigation is now underway on the city's Northwest Side after Chicago police say there was a break-in at a prom dress shop.
Read more »
