Zikalala orders probe after officers accused of manhandling Ballito child found ‘not at fault’

United States News News

Zikalala orders probe after officers accused of manhandling Ballito child found ‘not at fault’
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 TheCitizen_News
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 67 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 30%
  • Publisher: 75%

Four of the children have been handed over correctly and safely to their homes.

KwaDukuza peace officers videoed manhandling a four-year-old toddler before arresting the father and 10 other people for alleged lockdown infringement on Sunday morning could face charges of assault if they are found to have overstepped the law, reportsThe video has received widespread coverage on national media, amid furious condemnation of the behaviour of the arresting officers.

The officer is seen lifting the screaming toddler into the air and dragging him back towards the gate.“Get your hands off this child. Somebody call the police,” shouts the man, who is wearing only board shorts. The families, with their children, were already walking home and some had entered the complex when about 10 officers arrived.

“The elderly couple did not have money for bail so we all pitched in to assist them with the amount. It is shocking that at their frail age they were handled this way and arrested,” one father told the Courier. “There are several procedures the police must follow before they can make a legal arrest so that the rights of the public remain protected. There are only a very limited number of circumstances in which an officer can make an arrest. According to the Criminal Procedure Act, the officers must have observed a crime, unless it was a Schedule One crime such as sexual assault or murder.

“We don’t condemn the regulations, but the way they handled the situation was unacceptable. They crossed a line by behaving the way they did in front of our children,” he said.KDM spokesperson Sipho Mkhize said the matter had been investigated and it was found that the officers had received a complaint of non-adherence to the Disaster Management Act regulating Covid-19.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TheCitizen_News /  🏆 6. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Ballito scuffle: Internal investigation finds officers 'did not manhandle the child'The municipality claimed that the father in a viral video had tried to run away from officers who arrived to arrest him and others for contravening level 4 lockdown regulations.
Read more »

Officers in Ballito scuffle over child, accused of abusing powersThe actions of two municipal traffic officers who followed a family home and attempted to “seize” their child, because they allegedly violated the Covid-19 regulations by going to the beach, have been described as an “abuse of power” and inexcusable.
Read more »

Child in Shaka's Rock arrest video was not manhandled, says municipalityThe KwaDukuza municipality has cleared its peace officers of manhandling a four-year-old who was, along with 10 others, found in breach of lockdown regulations.
Read more »

Child in Shaka's Rock arrest video was not manhandled, says municipalityThe municipality released its findings on Tuesday afternoon following an internal investigation into what happened on Sunday when two peace officers were filmed in a 'scuffle' with a father and his four-year-old son at Shaka's Rock, on the KZN north coast.
Read more »

DA calls for officers involved in Ballito scuffle over boy to be suspendedThe DA is calling for the two peace officers caught of camera physically grabbing a 4-year-old boy and later arresting his father, to be suspended with immediate effect.
Read more »

Father involved in Ballito child arrest tells of rough treatment by policeFather involved in Ballito child arrest tells of rough treatment by policeEleven people were arrested including an 88-year-old man and his 81-year-old wife who were allegedly also taking a walk along the beach.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-01 14:31:59