BEIJING - By halting funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the United States is only trying to divert attention from its failure to handle its domestic coronavirus epidemic, China's top epidemiologist said on Wednesday (April 15), adding that the US decision is 'unethical', Global Times reported.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
BEIJING - By halting funding to the World Health Organisation , the United States is only trying to divert attention from its failure to handle its domestic coronavirus epidemic, China's top epidemiologist said on Wednesday , adding that the US decision is"unethical", Global Times reported.
"This is a very bad sign, but can the US defeat its domestic epidemic by halting funding to the WHO?" asked Dr Zeng Guang, chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. "It is no longer a world of unilateralism, but multilateralism," Dr Zeng said, noting that the US withdrawal of funds may not have a domino effect, as other countries may not follow the US lead.
Dr Zeng said the US suspension of funds to the WHO won't impact the international health organisation in its sharing of information with the world, but may result in a shortage of funds for staff salaries and some projects. Nations around the world should jointly increase support for the WHO, otherwise the US may use this as an excuse to attack other countries, Dr Zeng said.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
US returns US$300m of 1MDB funds to MalaysiaWASHINGTON: The US Justice Department announced on Tuesday (Apr 14) it had sent US$300 million in funds stolen in the 1MDB corruption scandal to ...
Read more »
US awards airports US$10 billion in grants amid travel falloffThe U.S. Transportation Department on Tuesday awarded nearly US$10 billion to U.S. airports struggling with a massive falloff in travel demand ...
Read more »
Airbnb secures new US$1 billion loan on top of US$1 billion bond dealAirbnb, whose home rental business is suffering as the coronavirus pandemic freezes global travel, has secured a new US$1 billion loan just days ...
Read more »
VC firms raised US$21b last quarter despite Covid-19 chaos[SAN FRANCISCO] The spreading coronavirus pandemic has slammed tech startups, forcing dozens to shed thousands of jobs. But so far, the venture capitalists that fund them appear to be doing alright, according to a new report — though some funds are faring better than others. Read more at The Business Times.
Read more »
Trump: It's my decision when to reopen U.S. economyPresident Donald Trump said on Monday it was his decision when to reopen the U.S. economy, not that of state governors, but legal experts disagree and governors are going their own way. Trump last month extended federal 'stay at home' guidelines through April and has made clear he wanted the
Read more »