Turkey's earthquake death toll tops 48 000 as government races to build container cities | News24

United States News News

Turkey's earthquake death toll tops 48 000 as government races to build container cities | News24
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 News24
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 29 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 15%
  • Publisher: 80%

The death toll in Turkey from last month's major earthquakes has risen to 48 448, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Monday, as authorities rush to set up container cities to house those left homeless.

Rescuers carry out search operations among the rubble of collapsed buildings in Adiyaman, Turkey, days after a 7,8-magnitude earthquake struck southeast Turkey.The death toll in Turkey from a major earthquake that hit the region last month has reached 48 448. The death toll included 6 660 foreign nationals.

The earthquake and subsequent powerful tremors injured more than 115 000 in Turkey and left millions sheltering in tents or seeking to move to other cities. Soylu said the government plans to set up 115 585 containers for as many families in 239 sites across the affected region. He said 23 sites had been established so far and 21 000 containers were set up, with 85 000 people living in them.

During a visit on Sunday to Hatay, one of the worst-hit regions, Erdogan said Qatar had pledged to send 10 000 containers, which were used during the soccer World Cup.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

News24 /  🏆 4. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

‘A thin existence’: South African stranded in Turkey after being refused entry to BritainThe deportation order is related to a conviction for possession of cannabis with an intent to supply.
Read more »

‘A thin existence’: South African stranded in Turkey after being refused entry to BritainStranded in Turkey since being barred from boarding a flight to Britain more than two months ago, Siyabonga Twala spent his 34th birthday on Saturday away from his son and family in an unfamiliar city.
Read more »

‘Time is right for Steenkampskraal rare earth mine’‘Time is right for Steenkampskraal rare earth mine’Once it has a definitive feasibility study, management will look to raise capital to reopen the Western Cape’s Steenkampskraal rare earth mine in 2024. Moneyweb Mining
Read more »

WATCH: City Power reports death threats by Lenasia 'leader' to cops | The CitizenWATCH: City Power reports death threats by Lenasia 'leader' to cops | The Citizen😲In a video that has been circulating on social media, a business owner can be seen threatening City Power officials with death threats.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 07:44:56