Israeli airstrikes targeting militant group Hezbollah in Lebanon killed nearly 500 people and wounded 1,600 others on Monday — the deadliest day in the country in nearly two decades. Follow for live updates
near Israel’s economic center Tel Aviv is the first fired by the militant group to reach close to the city, the Israeli military said. Hezbollah, Ibrahim Qubaisi, yesterday. The Israeli military said Qubaisi commanded various missile units and was killed along with two other commanders in southern Beirut.The foreign ministers of Jordan, Egypt and Iraq have “condemned the Israeli aggression on Lebanon” in a joint statement and warned that Israel is pushing the region toward an “all-out war.
In recent days, senior US officials had largely stopped making a vigorous push on the ceasefire negotiations, sources told CNN, having determined there is currently no political will on either side – Hamas or Israel’s – to end the conflict.
“Following the sirens that sounded in the areas of Menashe, Hacarmel, and Wadi Ara, approximately five projectiles were identified crossing from Lebanon into Israeli territory,” it said. Netanyahu was set to fly today and speak tomorrow, but his office said he would now fly to New York on Thursday and return Saturday. He is expected to speak at the UN on Friday.the widening of fighting in the Middle East in his speech to the UN General Assembly yesterday, which came after cross-border strikes killed hundreds. While acknowledging “the situation has escalated,” Biden said, “a diplomatic solution is still possible.
Last week, Israel made the safe return of residents to northern Israel a war goal following nearly a year of cross-border exchanges of fire with Hezbollah.Hezbollah on Wednesday said it launched a ballistic missile toward the headquarters of Israel’s intelligence service Mossad near Tel Aviv, shortly after the Israeli military said it intercepted the attack in what is a rare assault far from the frontlines.
“In this new phase, this new escalation of tensions and conflict between Israel and Hezbollah, this is the first that we’re aware of a missile in this phase, being intercepted, closely it appears on a trajectory towards Tel Aviv.” Sirens were heard Wednesday in the central city of Netanya for the first time since October 7, according to Israeli authorities.The pattern of injuries among thousands wounded in Lebanon from Israeli attacks is similar to what British-Palestinian doctor Dr Ghassan Abu-Sittah saw while working in Gaza.
Dr Abu-Sittah also said the healthcare system is “very, very fragile” as it cannot cope with the influx of over 2,000 injuries in two days.Lebanon's Foreign Affairs Minister Abdallah Bou Habib attends a joint press conference at the ministry's headquarters in Beirut on September 12.
Earlier Tuesday, the Israel Defense Forces said sirens were heard in the area of Atlit, south of the city of Haifa. “No injuries were reported,” the IDF said. It did not say whether the naval base was targeted.
“We continue to urge all sides to step back from conflict to prevent further tragic loss of life. Our government is ensuring all preparations are in place to support British nationals should the situation deteriorate. I want to thank the British personnel who are deploying in the region for their commitment and professionalism,” Healey added.Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian addresses world leaders during the United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday, September 24, in New York.
Asked about Israeli claims that the targets were Hezbollah positions, the father said: “They are liars. Entire families gone. These are not Hezbollah targets. We live in the south, we don’t know where Hezbollah is and I don’t know where the Hezbollah fighters are. destroyed houses and farms instead.”
The Beirut municipality emphasizes ongoing efforts to provide all necessary support to the displaced individuals during this critical time. There is “cooperation with several associations that secured a number of mattresses, pillows and blankets, in addition to water, medicines and other necessary materials, so that all the supplies and materials required for all the displaced will be completed.
Speaking from Tel Aviv Tuesday evening, spokesperson Daniel Hagari said that the IDF aimed to conduct its campaign against Hezbollah for as short a time as possible but was equally prepared for it to take longer.A deal that would bring the remaining hostages back “should be the most important priority” of all the world leaders meeting this week at the United Nations General Assembly, Israel’s president said.
Asked whether Israel and the US were on diverging pathways regarding the situation in the region, Herzog said that Israel is “almost on the same page” with US President Joe Biden. “No injuries were reported,” the IDF said. The forces would not comment on whether the naval base at Atlit was targeted. Speaking to troops after an exercise simulating ground combat in Lebanon, Gallant said, “You understand that the moment may come when we give an order and the system will have to move forward, so preparations must be made.”Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is hosting a security briefing with cabinet ministers and senior security officials, an Israeli official told CNN Tuesday.
On Monday, Israel intensified its air campaign on Hezbollah, launching strikes targeting the Iran-backed militant group in Lebanon. It marked the deadliest day of Israeli strikes in Lebanon since the 2006 war and hit multiple parts of the country. “Not only children are dying in Gaza; the United Nations system is also dying, the truth is dying, the values that the West claims to defend are dying, the hopes of humanity to live in a fairer world are dying one by one,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
The prime minister said he warned the Lebanese people to evacuate places where Hezbollah has weapons — including residential houses. “They were born together and killed together,” their father Ahmad Fayed told CNN outside the mortuary at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in central Gaza, where their bodies had been taken.
Six civilians were also killed in Khan Younis, in the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Civil Defense Authority. The IDF told CNN that in that case, it was targeting a Hamas commander. On the languishing ceasefire deal, Biden said: “Now is the time for the parties to finalize its terms, bring the hostages home and secure security for Israel and Gaza free of Hamas scrip, ease the suffering in Gaza and end this war.”A rescuer searches for survivors in a building that was hit by an Israeli airstrike in Beirut's southern suburb, on September 24.
The IDF claimed that “as part of his duties in the terrorist organization, he was responsible for the planning and execution of many terrorist plots against IDF forces” and Israeli citizens. Ali Basma, the other staff member killed by the strikes, had worked for the UN for seven years in Tyre, a coastal town south of Beirut. Basma was buried on Tuesday morning.
In the past, the IDF has used strikes on the capital Beirut to kill senior Hezbollah figures. This is the fifth Israeli strike in Beirut’s Hezbollah-dominated southern suburbs this year.across swathes of Lebanon on Monday in what was the deadliest day for the country since at least the 2006 war fought between Israel and the powerful Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah.
As large number of civilians flock to Beirut and surrounding areas from southern Lebanon, the UNHCR is looking to ensure there is sufficient water and sanitation facilities in shelters, Saltmarsh said. Footage shared on social media showed long lines of traffic as people tried to flee southern Lebanon — which has been subjected to an intense Israeli bombardment, more so than other parts of the country — toward the capital Beirut.
A photo distributed by Hezbollah’s media office showed the top two floors of a building destroyed by the Israeli strike.Many children remain “missing under rubble” and caught “on dangerous roads” after Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon, the UN children’s agency warned, as the country suffered its deadliest day since 2006.
“Hezbollah must not be given a reprieve,” Herzi Halevi, Chief of the General Staff, said according to an Israel Defense Forces statement. “Keep working with full force. We will speed up the offensive operations today and tighten all the formations. The situation requires continued vigorous action in all arenas.”
“A short while ago, with the direction of IDF intelligence, the struck terror targets belonging to the Hezbollah terrorist organization in the Beqaa and several areas in southern Lebanon,” the Israel Defense Forces said Tuesday. Israel Fire and Rescue Services crews could be seen working to extinguish fires caused by the strikes in video released earlier today.The Israeli military says it is continuing to strike Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon.
Several fires broke out following the barrage, including a fire in a storage facility and another that broke out in an open area, Israel Fire and Rescue Services said.into northern Israel in the early hours of this morning, targeting the Ramat David airbase, Meggido airfield, and the Amos base, all located in the vicinity of the town of Afula in northern Israel.At least 40 flights in and out of Beirut’s main airport, Rafic Hariri, have been canceled, as of Tuesday morning.
The nearly 500 people killed on Monday alone, including dozens of children, is roughly half the number of Lebanese killed during the 34-day war between Israel and Hezbollah in 2006. It is unclear how many of the casualties were Hezbollah militants. The same official said the cabinet has agreed to continue to raise the level of military operations every day. Israel is aware of the risks, the source said, and is ready to stop at any moment. “It is up to Hezbollah,” the source said.
The IDF also said artillery and tanks had struck targets in the areas of the towns Ayta ash Shab and Ramyeh in southern Lebanon.into northern Israel targeting the Ramat David airbase, Meggido airfield, and the Amos base, all located in the vicinity of the town of Afula in northern Israel.
Hezbollah is an Iran-backed Islamist movement with one of the Middle East’s most powerful paramilitary forces. The US believes, however, that Israel hasWhen asked whether Iran will counsel Hezbollah to restrain itself in its response to Israeli strikes, Pezeshkian said Hezbollah is facing a country “armed to the teeth and has access to weapons systems that are far superior to anything else.”“Hezbollah cannot do that alone.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Israel-Hamas war latest: Israel turns its focus north toward Lebanon and HezbollahIsrael’s defense minister has declared the start of a “new phase” of the war as Israel turns its focus toward the northern front against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Read more »
Israel-Hamas war latest: Israel turns its focus north toward Lebanon and HezbollahIsrael’s defense minister has declared the start of a “new phase” of the war as Israel turns its focus toward the northern front against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Read more »
Israel-Hamas war latest: Israel turns its focus north toward Lebanon and HezbollahIsrael’s defense minister has declared the start of a “new phase” of the war as Israel turns its focus toward the northern front against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Read more »
Israel and Hezbollah continue to trade fire as residents in Lebanon look for safetyThe trade of cross-border missiles came after the deadliest day of conflict in Lebanon since 2006.
Read more »
Sullivan expresses worry over escalating Israel-Lebanon tension, calls Hezbollah strike as justice servedSullivan expresses worry over escalating Israel-Lebanon tension, calls Hezbollah strike as justice served
Read more »
Hundreds of pagers mysteriously explode in Lebanon; Hezbollah blames IsraelThousands of people were wounded across Lebanon in what was thought to be a cyberattack causing pagers carried by Hezbollah members to explode.
Read more »