Saudi Arabia limits annual pilgrimage due to Covid

United States News News

Saudi Arabia limits annual pilgrimage due to Covid
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 politico
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 53 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 59%

Saudi Arabia announced this year’s hajj pilgrimage will be limited to no more than 60,000 people, all of them from within the kingdom, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic

Muslim pilgrims circumambulate around the Kaaba, the cubic building at the Grand Mosque, as they keep social distancing during the minor pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, on May 30. | Amr Nabil/AP PhotoDUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Saudi Arabia announced Saturday this year’s hajj pilgrimage will be limited to no more than 60,000 people, all of them from within the kingdom, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

A statement on the state-run Saudi Press Agency quoted the kingdom’s Hajj and Umrah Ministry making the announcement. It said this year’s hajj, which will begin in mid-July, will be limited to those ages 18 to 65.“The kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which is honored to host pilgrims every year, confirms that this arrangement comes out of its constant concern for the health, safety and security of pilgrims as well as the safety of their countries,” the statement said.

Each year, up to 2 million Muslims perform the hajj, a physically demanding and often costly pilgrimage that draws the faithful from around the world. The hajj, required of all able-bodied Muslims to perform once in their lifetime, is seen as a chance to wipe clean past sins and bring about greater humility and unity among Muslims.

Disease outbreaks have always been a concern surrounding the hajj. Pilgrims fought off a malaria outbreak in 632, cholera in 1821 killed an estimated 20,000, and another cholera outbreak in 1865 killed 15,000 before spreading worldwide.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

politico /  🏆 381. in US

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Saudi Arabia limits hajj pilgrimage for second year due to pandemicSaudi Arabia limits hajj pilgrimage for second year due to pandemicSaudi Arabia announced Saturday it was barring foreign visitors and limiting this year's hajj pilgrimage to 60,000 people from within the kingdom due to the coronavirus pandemic. Why it matters: It's the second year the pandemic has forced the country to restrict the annual pilgrimage, which typically draws 2 million Muslims from around the world. The hajj last year was limited to about 1,000 people. Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for
Read more »

Saudi Arabia limits Hajj to only 60,000 vaccinated nationals, residentsSaudi Arabia limits Hajj to only 60,000 vaccinated nationals, residentsOnly people aged between 18 and 65 who have been vaccinated will be able to take part in this year's Hajj, which will begin in mid-July, state-run Saudi Press Agency announced on Saturday.
Read more »

Saudi Arabia allows single women to live separately without male consentSaudi Arabia allows single women to live separately without male consentKingdom scraps part of a law to make it legal for single, divorced and widowed women to live alone without needing permission from their family without fear of their decision being contested.
Read more »

Saudi Arabia’s Fashion Commission CEO Burak Cakmak Maps Out StrategySaudi Arabia’s Fashion Commission CEO Burak Cakmak Maps Out StrategyThe culture sector aims to create 100,000 jobs and add $23 billion to the Saudi economy in the next 10 years.
Read more »

Saudi Arabia limits hajj pilgrimage for second year due to pandemicSaudi Arabia limits hajj pilgrimage for second year due to pandemicSaudi Arabia announced Saturday it was barring foreign visitors and limiting this year's hajj pilgrimage to 60,000 people from within the kingdom due to the coronavirus pandemic. Why it matters: It's the second year the pandemic has forced the country to restrict the annual pilgrimage, which typically draws 2 million Muslims from around the world. The hajj last year was limited to about 1,000 people. Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for
Read more »

Why Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Won't Be at 2021's Trooping the ColourWhy Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Won't Be at 2021's Trooping the ColourThe Queen's annual birthday parade on June 12 will be much different than previous years due to COVID.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 10:37:40