WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said a fundamental reform of the World Health Organization is needed following its handling of the coronavirus pandemic and that the United States, W
HO's biggest donor, may never restore funding to the UN body.
"We reformed this back in 2007, so this isn't the first time we've had to deal with the shortcomings of this organization that sits inside the United Nations," he said. "We need a fix. We need a structural fix with the WHO." The United States has been the biggest overall donor to the WHO, contributing over $400 million in 2019, roughly 15 percent of its budget. Senior US officials last week told Reuters that Washington could redirect these funds to other aid groups.
On Wednesday, Pompeo said the United States "strongly believed" Beijing had failed to report the outbreak in a timely manner, in breach of World Health Organization rules, and had failed to report human-to-human transmission of the virus" for a month until it was in every province inside of China."
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Pompeo presses China to allow lab inspections amid pandemic
Read more »
US govt experts warn against coronavirus drug combo promoted by Trump
Read more »
Virus 'will be with us for a long time' – WHO'Make no mistake: we have a long way to go. This virus will be with us for a long time,' says WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. COVID19 coronavirus
Read more »
Don’t look at us: Bayan Muna says Duterte admin to blame for Nat’l ID delayOpposition party-list group Bayan Muna on Wednesday said that President Rodrigo Duterte has no one else to blame but his own administration over delays in the implementation of the National ID System. | GabrielLaluINQ
Read more »
US, Australia navies ‘team up’ in South China Sea amid unrelenting Chinese aggressionMANILA, Philippines—American and Australian warships have come together in the South China Sea for joint drills, as China continued to aggressively assert its claim of owning the entire
Read more »
After Trump call to Duterte, US donating P269M more for COVID-19 fightThe US government is donating an additional P269 million to the Philippines for coronavirus rapid response efforts,
Read more »