Police release guidelines for the use of force during lockdown - The Mail & Guardian

United States News News

Police release guidelines for the use of force during lockdown - The Mail & Guardian
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 mailandguardian
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 41 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 20%
  • Publisher: 92%

The guidelines follow a court order in the case of Collins Khosa, who died after an alleged assault by members of the army and the Johannesburg metro police

with the South African National Defence Force and the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department. His family said he was brutally assaulted by the soldiers and police officers and died a few hours later.

On Tuesday, attorneys for the South African Police Service said they were expecting to appeal the decision. The guidelines — set out in a circular from national police commissioner Khehla Sitole — are dated May 19. It was unclear on Thursday morning, May 21, whether the police still intended to pursue an appeal because the Saps could not immediately be reached for comment.

It also says that the use or attempted of torture is a criminal offence, adding that torture includes inflicting pain on a person to get information or punish them. “No exception, such as a state of disaster, a state of war or a threat of war, state of emergency, internal political or any other public emergency will serve as a justification for torture — there can simply be no justification for torture, ever.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

mailandguardian /  🏆 2. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Union accuses police station commanders of risking officers' lives after positive testsSapawu has accused station commanders of risking the lives of their members, saying officers were ordered to go back to work while awaiting Covid-19 test results, and only a few hours after police stations had been decontaminated. CapeTimesSA
Read more »

SA editor flees to Lesotho after being assaulted by policeSA editor flees to Lesotho after being assaulted by policeSouth African journalist Paul Nthoba has fled the country and he is in hiding in Lesotho. Nthoba, who was allegedly assaulted and insulted by the police in Ficksburg, Free State, last Friday, claims his life is at risk
Read more »

Police ministry 'not aware' of Kelly Khumalo's letter on Senzo Meyiwa murderIn a statement issued to TshisaLIVE on Tuesday, acting police spokesperson Brig Mathapelo Peters said they were not aware of any letter being sent by Kelly to police.
Read more »

Free State police station closed after cop tests positive for Covid-19Free State police station closed after cop tests positive for Covid-19The police say the building is currently undergoing decontamination and the community will be informed when the station will be operational again.
Read more »

SA journalist flees to Lesotho after police beatings while on duty: SanefSanef has expressed concern at the ill treatment of a journalist who was allegedly assaulted by police and has had to flee the country.
Read more »

Nigerian medical union orders strike over alleged police harassmentNigeria's largest medical union, the Nigerian medical association (NMA), on Wednesday ordered its members in the commercial capital Lagos to launch an indefinite strike over alleged police harassment.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 04:45:54