ISS security and policing consultant Dr Johan Burger said the failings in the SAPS Crime Intelligence unit were the result of actions taken by former unit head Richard Mdluli.
by Maj-Gen Mark Henkel, one of the generals in the unit and acting head when Mdluli was absent, described widespread looting of millions of rand from the
police secret service account, jobs for friends and family and the abuse of safe houses which would otherwise have been used in operations or for witness protection. “Those houses became their homes, and the secret services account paid for those homes,” said Burger. When Mdluli briefly returned to work after his suspension was lifted, he axed Henkel and a number of other generals and senior staff whom he accused of “back-stabbing” him.“It never fully recovered. There was a number of short-term heads but they didn't last long.”
When Peter Jacobs took over as head of the unit in 2019, he was faced with the challenge of identifying Mdluli's appointees and to determine if the hirings were legal. These problems continued to undermine the unit's performance. Along with the failings in the State Security Agency , this meant there was ineffective intelligence gathering.TimesLIVE
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
COVID-19 epidemic eases in parts of DR CongoCongolese authorities said Sunday the coronavirus epidemic had eased in many parts of the country but remained worrying in the economic capital of Lumbubashi
Read more »
Parliament orders inquiry into how rebellion caught SA's security services nappingJoint standing committee on intelligence chairperson Jerome Maake will lead the inquiry into the failures, which allowed a rebellion to foment under the noses of the country's security establishment.
Read more »
SA on high Zuma alert | CitypressThe security forces, who were caught napping during last month’s violent mayhem, are taking no chances this time around.
Read more »
Inquiry into alleged intelligence failures approved after KZN, Gauteng lootingParliament’s Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence received approval to embark on an inquiry into allegations of intelligence failures by the intelligence services. Looting CivilUnrest Police
Read more »
Inquiry into alleged intelligence failures approved after KZN, Gauteng lootingParliament’s Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence received approval to embark on an inquiry into allegations of intelligence failures by the intelligence services. Looting CivilUnrest Police
Read more »