'Without taking rural and urban realities into account, the re-envisioned Balik Probinsya Program, implicitly touted as a way of preempting successor epidemics, will only generate further cynicism.' Opinion COVID19PH
has suddenly forced the authorities to take seriously the massive numbers and densities of Metro Manila’s informal settlements. At a recent Cabinet meeting chaired by the President, a move to decongest the city was proposed: poor residents should return to their home provinces. While seemingly logical, the exhortation masks certain crucial realities.
A Department of Social Welfare and Development official interviewed on television affirmed that the existing Balik Probinsya Program has faced limited success. Lack of economic opportunities and social services in the home province eventually forced many families back to Metro Manila. How then, asked the interviewer, would a revitalized program be any different?
The official explained that the DSWD would plan ahead of time together with the interested returnee families. They would be eligible for small-business loans and subsidies. Before they could avail of this financial support, however, they would have to defend the feasibility of their micro-enterprise. More information was needed: Where in the province will they expect to live? Do they have relatives and resources there? They need to prepare a budget for the transfer.
What is needed, therefore, are inviting frameworks of all-encompassing local economies that link the agricultural countryside holistically with its constituent provincial small- or medium-sized city offering manufacturing and service industry jobs. Income and employment expectations would certainly be accompanied by demands for schools, health centers, hospitals, markets, electricity, potable water, adequate transport, entertainment, small restaurants, functioning cell sites, and fresh air.
Some years ago I joined a “tripping” with 4 jeepney loads of Pasig River settlers sponsored by the National Housing Authority. They were to view and assess the off-city resettlement site in Bosoboso, Antipolo designated as their future home. After a long ride ending in Antipolo’s then-agricultural countryside, the group disembarked to hike up a challenging slope to the relocation plateau. Awaiting them was a panoramic view overlooking rice fields and the foothills of the Sierra Madre Mountain.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Cebu City records 40 new COVID-19 casesCebu City records 40 new coronavirus infections, pushing the total number to 451.
Read more »
DOH: 1,245 healthcare workers test positive for coronavirus; 27 dieA total of 1,245 health care professionals have so far been infected with the novel coronavirus or SARS-CoV-2 which causes the coronavirus disease 2019. | DYGalvezINQ
Read more »
DSWD SLP beneficiaries paying it forward in this time of crisisCEBU CITY, Philippines—The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic might have brought suffering to the low-income families but some have risen above this crisis, as they provide assistance
Read more »
Over 500 COVID-19 cases in Central Visayas, highest outside NCRCEBU CITY, Philippines -- Central Visayas has breached 500 in the number of confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases on April 27, making it the area outside National Capital Region (NCR)
Read more »
Kin of deceased PUM in Masbate town placed under watchLEGAZPI CITY –– The mayor of Cataingan town in Masbate province said on Friday night that the entire household of the patient considered a person under monitoring (PUM) for coronavirus disease
Read more »
27 more inmates positive for virus moved to NBPThe Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has said that an additional 27 inmates from the Correctional Institution for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City had tested positive for the new coronavirus disease
Read more »