The department of basic education has warned that premature of reopening of schools is not permitted as the department is finalising Covid-19 school compliance protocols. YoliswaSobuwa
"In some schools teachers have already been reporting for duty and parents meetings have been held where plans were announced to have learners back in school in May. The uniform standards will be applicable in schools as part of the measures put in place to protect learners and teachers, reduce infection and save the academic year," Mhlanga said.
Mhlanga said regulations were published on April 29 in terms of the Disaster Management Act, 2002 which listed education services under Alert Level 4 Table 1. Q. as permitted on a date and schedule yet to be announced to direct when schools may reopen during Alert Level 4. "Until such date and schedule are determined, all schools, including independent schools, must remain closed. The minister has already indicated how she intends to have schools re-opening and until a final decision is made no school may proceed to open and receive learners," Mhlanga said.
Mhlanga said Motshekga will next week return to the National Coronavirus Command Council to present an enhanced recovery plan for the basic education based on inputs and feedback received thus far.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Parliament seeks legal opinion after virus changes basic education’s budgetThe basic education department also doesn't qualify for funds from the R500 billion relief package.
Read more »
High court dismisses challenge to June 1 school reopeningThe basic education department has welcomed a Limpopo high court order dismissing a challenge to the planned opening of schools on June 1.
Read more »
Basic education to present schools reopening plan to NCCC on 18 MayMotshekga said they had submitted their framework for the reopening of schools to the NCCC, but it was not approved.
Read more »
Most education officials not at work despite Motshekga's May 4 return dateMost education department officials at the head office in Pretoria and at provincial education department offices have not yet returned to work.
Read more »
Most education officials not at work despite Motshekga's May 4 return dateBasic education minister Angie Motshekga last week announced that office-based staff would resume duty on Monday this week to get the sector ready for the reopening of schools.
Read more »
Most education officials not at work despite Motshekga's May 4 return dateMost education department officials at the head office in Pretoria and at provincial education department offices have not yet returned to work.
Read more »