New health department DG Sandile Buthelezi to start job on June 1

United States News News

New health department DG Sandile Buthelezi to start job on June 1
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 SowetanLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 63%

“I wish to take this opportunity to congratulate Dr Buthelezi and believe that he is certainly up to the task,” said Mkhize.

New health DG Dr Sandile Buthelezi will start work next week, replacing controversial acting DG Dr. Anban Pillay.The newly appointed director-general of the health department will take office on Monday. Dr Sandile Buthelezi was appointed a week ago.Pillay has recently been caught up in a storm involving Medical Research Council president Prof Glenda Gray, who was critical of the government's lockdown rules.

“We also wish to bid farewell to Dr Yogan Pillay, the deputy DG for communicable and non-communicable disease prevention, treatment and rehabilitation, who is going into early retirement after working for the national department of health for 23 years,” he added. “Under his leadership, South Africa’s HIV treatment programme grew to become the largest in the world, new vaccines were introduced as part of the expanded programme on immunisation and infant, under-five and maternal mortality rates have declined significantly.”

Dr Yogan Pillay requested in December 2019 to take early retirement in order to join the Clinton Health Access Initiative as country director for South Africa and senior advisor on universal health coverage. The initiative began working with the South African government in 2003 and has operated in the country since 2008.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SowetanLIVE /  🏆 13. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Matsunyane, Ngcobo leave Kaya FM as station's afternoon drive show takes new directionNgcobo’s last show on Kaya FM will be on Friday May 29 where he will be doing a show with Skhumba.
Read more »

Nedbank targets e-commerce revenue with new appThe bank is looking at ways of securing deposits and selling loans to consumers
Read more »

Bolt raises almost R2bn in new investment roundThe company previously known as Taxify received the funds from Naya Capital Management and expects SA to get ‘a significant portion’
Read more »

New Pixar short film 'Out' features studio's first gay lead characterNew Pixar short film 'Out' features studio's first gay lead characterPixar's new short film 'Out' features the studio's first gay lead character.
Read more »

African heritage can be harnessed to create a post-Covid 'New Economy'Covid-19 has enabled us to demonstrate our ability to shift from our tendency to be pre-occupied with the pursuit of personal success to rally together with empathy and compassion to collaborate in response to this existential crisis.
Read more »

WATCH: New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern stays cool as earthquake strikes during live interview'We’re just having a bit of an earthquake here, Ryan...,' News Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern told the host of the show Ryan Bridge, as she, the camera and other things around her shook.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 08:22:54