KUALA LUMPUR: The 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) hearing involving Datuk Seri Najib Razak was vacated for the day over fears of Covid-19 as the defence team had come in contact with a patient under investigation (PUI).
The entire bench allocated for the defence team from Messrs Shafee & Co was empty except for lawyer Noor Farhah Mustaffa who informed High Court judge Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah that lead counsel, Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, had received a phone call informing him that his sister-in-law had to be tested for the virus.
She said Shafee held a kenduri last Saturday at his house which was attended by his sister-in-law and his team. The court was told that the sister-in-law sits next to a colleague who had been tested positive at their office at Sirim Berhad.“Perhaps our whole office must be quarantined, ” Noor Farhah said here yesterday.The former federal court judge said he had to be tested too as he was in close contact with two Covid PUIs.
“I am scheduled for a second test tomorrow. I can understand the concern due to the speed of the virus spreading, ” he added.He ordered the defence to furnish the court with medical letters confirming the sister-in-law had taken the test and whether Shafee and his team needed to be on quarantine leave.Najib, 67, is facing four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.28bil from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Najib’s 1MDB trial vacated as defence team under ‘quarantine’ over Covid-19 fearsNajib’s 1MDB trial vacated as defence team under ‘quarantine’ over Covid-19 fears thesundaily Covid19 coronavirus Najib Shafee 1MDB ShahAlam Sirim Malaysia
Read more »
Day 35: 1MDB trial vacated, Najib's defence team under Covid-19 quarantineLIVE | 3.30pm - Thank you for following our live report today. If you like what we do, support independent media by joining our subscription programme for as low as RM0.55 a day.
Read more »
Day 35: Najib 1MDB trial resumes after four months breakLIVE | 2.51pm - Former premier Najib Abdul Razak enters the dock as proceedings before Kuala Lumpur High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah begins. Follow our live reports at
Read more »
Najib SRC trial: More from Dzulkifli on AG's decision in 2016 probeLIVE DAY 91 | Malaysiakini brings you live reports from ex-premier Najib's SRC International trial.
Read more »
Najib SRC trial: 'Money flowing into Najib's account not necessarily an offence'LIVE | 11.02am - Court breaks after Dzulkifli released from witness stand Follow our live reports at
Read more »
Najib SRC trial: MACC recorded Nik Faisal's 2015 statement in Jakarta - witnessLIVE | 12.04pm - Judge allows break for Shafee to speak to potential witness Follow our live reports at
Read more »