Claycourt king Rafa Nadal suffered a fake injury, several players 'froze' and one match vanished into thin air as the Virtual Madrid Open made its debut on Monday.
Claycourt king Rafa Nadal suffered a fake injury, several players 'froze' and one match vanished into thin air as the Virtual Madrid Open made its debut on Monday.
Nadal claimed he was a computer game novice during an Instagram chat with Andy Murray last week, but the Spaniard showed impressive fingerwork to beat young Canadian Denis Shapovalov in his opening round-robin match on a digital representation of the Spanish capital's Manolo Santana Stadium. "I've not really trained for this because I've been cooking and looking after my baby," Fognini said.
Fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez, director of the tournament which is raising funds to help lower-ranked pros struggling to stay afloat during the health crisis, later confessed it was a joke. Online fans moaned about the long gaps between the matches, played on the Tennis World Tour game and each lasting about 15 minutes. The duel between Donna Vekic and Angelique Kerber was lost in cyberspace -- presumably because of wifi issues.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Tennis: Nadal says he's 'very pessimistic' about return of tennis
Read more »
What to expect from Kitchie Nadal, Barbie Almalbis, and Aia de Leon's upcoming online gigThe three OPM pop rock singers are set to perform familiar hits and never-before-heard collaborations in their online benefit concert on May 1.
Read more »
Tennis: Nadal says he's 'very pessimistic' about return of tennis
Read more »
Tennis: Tough for Murray to win another Slam, says Rusedski
Read more »
Bill Gates on how to defeat ‘the first modern pandemic’BEIJING — Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates discussed the possibility of a viral pandemic in a TED talk five years ago and recently shared his views on the worldwide coronavirus outbreak and why
Read more »
Eastern Visayas has 6 more COVID-19 casesMAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte, Philippines – The Eastern Visayas Department of Health Center for Health Development (CHD), announced this afternoon during a virtual presser that six patients were
Read more »