This year's delayed London Marathon may now be restricted to elite runners only.
CROWDED. Marathon organizers worldwide look to avoid large-scale gatherings. Photo by Niklas Halle'n/AFP
LONDON, United Kingdom – This year's delayed London Marathon may now be restricted to elite runners only, race organizer Hugh Brasher has said.The 2020 edition of the race through the British capital was meant to take place on Sunday, April 26, but has been postponed until October 4 because of the coronavirus outbreak.
But with no certainty as to when British government lockdown restrictions banning mass gatherings will be lifted, a race that featured nearly 43,000 runners last year may now follow the lead of last month's Tokyo Marathon, which went ahead with elite runners only. Distance greats Eliud Kipchoge and Kenenisa Bekele are meant to compete in the elite men's race at this year's London Marathon and Brasher told the BBC:"We hope we can welcome them back in October but at this stage we just don't know what is going to happen.
"We have to look at it in totality, with 3 quarters of a million spectators, the medical side, the charities.The Berlin Marathon, along with London one of the sport's 6 'majors’, will not go ahead as planned on September 27 after Germany extended a ban on large-scale gatherings until October 24.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Meghan and Harry to dial into London court hearing in lawsuit against British newspapersThe Duke and Duchess of Sussex will dial in to a London court hearing on Friday ahead of Meghan's lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, according to a royal source.
Read more »
Meghan and Harry to dial into London court hearing in lawsuit against British newspapersThe Duke and Duchess of Sussex will dial in to a London court hearing on Friday ahead of Meghan's lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, according to a royal source.
Read more »
44 Chinese, 9 Pinoy tiklo sa pagpapatakbo ng POGO kahit may quarantine sa Parañaque
Read more »
Senate to convene on May 4 despite extended COVID-19 lockdown: Sotto
Read more »