Lindela centre guards who reportedly downed tools, leading to mass escape, have nothing to answer for yet

United States News News

Lindela centre guards who reportedly downed tools, leading to mass escape, have nothing to answer for yet
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 SowetanLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 41 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 20%
  • Publisher: 63%

The seven guards from the Lindela Repatriation Centre in Krugersdorp who allegedly abandoned their posts, leading to 37 undocumented migrants escaping two weeks ago have no case to answer to for now, said the NPA.

The guards who were reportedly on duty on the day 37 illegal immigrants escaped from Lindela have not been criminally charged.The seven guards from the Lindela Repatriation Centre in Krugersdorp who allegedly abandoned their posts, leading to 37 undocumented migrants escaping two weeks ago, have no case to answer to for now, said the NPA.

The group had been expected to appear in the Krugersdorp magistrate’s court on Tuesday after they handed themselves over to police last week. They were released after they were charged with aiding an escape. “The case docket against seven security officials based at the Lindela Repatriation Centre was not placed on the roll at the Krugersdorp magistrate's court due to insufficient evidence,” said the NPA’s Phindi Mjonondwana.

“The docket has been referred back to SAPS, with instructions of investigations that must be conducted. Once those investigations are concluded, the docket will be brought back to the NPA for a decision,” she added. Home affairs minister Aaron Motsoaledi had visited the centre after the escape earlier this month and hinted at it being an inside job.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SowetanLIVE /  🏆 13. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Four awaiting trial prisoners still on the run in GautengThe quartet escaped in the early hours of Saturday morning, which triggered a huge manhunt.
Read more »

WATCH | Kelly K wants to know where her share of the R150m Covid-19 relief fund isThe Controversy queen wants answers regarding her portion of the artists' relief fund.
Read more »

IN MEMES | 'Uyajola 99's' drone camera left viewers totally disappointed!Imagine missing a FIRE confrontation because the drone is showing nothing but rooftops?
Read more »

IN MEMES | 'Uyajola 99's' drone camera left viewers totally disappointed!Imagine missing a FIRE confrontation because the drone is showing nothing but rooftops?
Read more »

'Killing Eve's' Jodie Comer wanted for 'Mad Max' spinoff'Killing Eve's' Jodie Comer wanted for 'Mad Max' spinoffJodie Comer is reportedly on the list to star in the 'Mad Max: Fury Road' spinoff.
Read more »

Former anti-apartheid activist Tim Jenkin looks back on great escapeTim Jenkin poked apartheid in the eye. In 1978, when he was 29, Jenkin was imprisoned for distributing anti-apartheid material for the ANC. A day after he and Stephen Lee, his comrade in pamphlet-bomb arms, were arrested, they resolved to escape. Their idea was brilliantly simple: they’d make keys to the prison doors and let themselves out the front door.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 17:38:30