Lesotho records its first Covid-19 case amid political upheaval

United States News News

Lesotho records its first Covid-19 case amid political upheaval
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 TimesLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 29 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 15%
  • Publisher: 59%

Lesotho recorded its first case of Covid-19 on Wednesday, the health ministry said, becoming the last country in southern and East Africa to be afflicted by the virus.

The ministry said it had conducted 81 tests for Covid-19 from travellers from SA and Saudi Arabia, of which one was positive.The disease has struck at a time of political uncertainty, with embattled Prime Minister Thomas Thabane due to step down by the end of next week after his coalition collapsed in parliament.

His exit would clear the way for a solution to a political crisis that erupted late last year, when he and his current wife were accused by police of murdering his former wife nearly three years ago. They both deny the charges. It is unclear when he will step down, although parliament has already provisionally named finance minister Moeketsi Majoro as his replacement.

A report by the UN humanitarian aid co-ordination agency two days ago had put Covid-19 case figures for East and southern Africa at almost 18,000, with all countries affected except Lesotho.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TimesLIVE /  🏆 28. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Lesotho confirms first Covid-19 caseLesotho confirms first Covid-19 caseThe country is still waiting for 301 results.
Read more »

Still no Covid-19 in Lesotho after 48 suspected cases test negativeHealth Minister Nkaku Kabi said 48 samples that were sent for testing at the National Institute of Communicable Diseases in South Africa came back negative.
Read more »

SA's Covid-19 death toll climbs past 200, as North West records first deathThe death toll from Covid-19 in SA has climbed past the 200 mark, with 12 new deaths announced on Monday.
Read more »

SA's Covid-19 death toll climbs past 200, as North West records first deathThe death toll from Covid-19 in SA has climbed past the 200 mark, with 12 new deaths announced on Monday.
Read more »

SA's Covid-19 death toll climbs past 200, as North West records first deathThere were also 637 new confirmed Covid-19 cases in the country, with more than half of the new cases coming from the Western Cape.
Read more »

Three retail stores in Port Elizabeth forced to close after positive Covid-19 testsThe Checkers store at the Walmer Park shopping centre in Newton Park and two stores at the Walmer Park shopping centre were affected.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 07:41:30