Managing director of Trafalgar Property Management Andrew Schaefer expects the rental market, under pressure even before the lockdown, to get worse.
With millions of South Africans temporarily or permanently out of work due to the national lockdown to limit the spread of the coronavirus which causes Covid-19, only 37% of the country’s tenants have been able to pay rent in full, while 22% could not afford to pay at all. According to the FlowFindings survey, conducted this month by residential rental platform Flow, both the high-end market – rentals above R12,000 a month – and the low-end market – R2,000 to R3,999 a month – were affected.
The survey of 22 questions was sent to more than 80,000 registered tenants and showed 78.8% of tenants’ income had been affected by the lockdown. The survey’s respondents said they had already applied or intended to apply for financial assistance to pay their bills. Swart said he had lost around R30,000 in rental income, but hoped his tenants would pay it all back once their finances improved.“I told them they could pay me whenever they can. I hope it is not money lost and that they can pay me at a later stage.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Reports that SAA Wuhan ‘repatriation pilot’ died of Covid-19 untrueNews24 has spoken to various sources who have indicated that Nakedi Tebatso Ntshane has not died of coronavirus-related causes, nor was she a pilot during the repatriation.
Read more »
Auckland Park SABC confirms second employee tests positive for Covid-19Only last week, the SABC's offices in Cape Town were evacuated for deep cleaning after an employee tested positive.
Read more »
Bournemouth's Ramsdale confirms tested positive for COVID-19Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale says he tested positive for COVID-19 in the second round of testing, three days after returning a negative result in the first batch of tests.
Read more »
COVID-19: Bournemouth's Ramsdale says he tested positiveThe 22-year-old said he did not have any symptoms and that he was now self-isolating.
Read more »
Clarity on level three Covid-19 regulations expected on WednesdaySA's national coronavirus command council will brief the country on the regulations relating to the Covid-19 level 3 restrictions on Wednesday.
Read more »
'There is no time to catch up': Covid-19 test backlog hits 21,904 in Eastern CapeThe Eastern Cape is sitting with a huge Covid-19 testing backlog, with 21,904 samples yet to be tested.
Read more »