Indonesia deploys security forces after nickel smelter protest and riot turns deadly

United States News News

Indonesia deploys security forces after nickel smelter protest and riot turns deadly
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 staronline
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 31 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 16%
  • Publisher: 75%

Several company vehicles were torched and about 100 dormitory rooms were damaged.

An Indonesian and a Chinese worker were killed during the clashes at the PT Gunbuster Nickel Industry smelter, owned by China's Jiangsu Delong Nickel Industry, which involved protesters, workers and security guards, said Didik Supranoto, a spokesperson for Central Sulawesi police.

Protester Minggu Bulu, a member of the labour group and former GNI employee, said there had been fatal safety lapses at the facility in the past year, including a motorcycle crashing into heavy machinery and an explosion at the smelter. "Work health and safety implementation is very poor, so we asked the company to implement it according to the law," Minggu said, adding that workers also lacked proper safety gear.Violent protests have broken out sporadically in the mineral-rich region of Sulawesi, which has seen a recent investment boom in nickel that is used in electric vehicle batteries.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

staronline /  🏆 4. in MY

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Workers clash at Indonesian nickel smelter, killing twoWorkers clash at Indonesian nickel smelter, killing twoAn Indonesian and a Chinese worker died after a clash broke out following a protest staged by a labour group. theSun theSundaily killed clash protest labour smelter workers
Read more »

Couple suspected involved in Pandan Indah explosion case to be charged MondayCouple suspected involved in Pandan Indah explosion case to be charged MondayThe couple, from Serdang, Kedah will be charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder. theSun theSundaily explosion bomb waiter death marriedcouple court law Malaysia
Read more »

Five men to go on trial for negligence over Indonesia stadium disasterFive men to go on trial for negligence over Indonesia stadium disasterFive Indonesian men charged with negligence leading to one of the worst stadium disasters in football history appeared in court by video link on Monday as their trial began.
Read more »

Italy orders two month ban on away matches for Roma and Napoli fans after clashesItaly orders two month ban on away matches for Roma and Napoli fans after clashesMILAN (Reuters) - Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi on Saturday ordered a two month ban on away matches for supporters of AS Roma and Napoli, after they clashed last Sunday forcing authorities to briefly shut the country's main motorway.
Read more »

Two killed in car-lorry collision along Jerantut-Temerloh roadTwo killed in car-lorry collision along Jerantut-Temerloh roadKUANTAN: Two men were burnt to death in a road accident involving their car and a lorry loaded with earth on the main road of Kampung Dato' Sharif Ahmad at Km28 of Jalan Jerantut-Temerloh on Saturday (Jan 14).
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 00:16:09