In historic conviction, Air Force general found guilty of sexual abuse

United States News News

In historic conviction, Air Force general found guilty of sexual abuse
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 washingtonpost
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 58 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 72%

A two-star general in the U.S. Air Force was found guilty Saturday of sexual assault, marking the first court-martial and conviction of a general officer in the military branch’s 74-year history.

Cooley, whose career with the Air Force began in 1988, was the first general officer in his service’s history to be criminally prosecuted.

Cooley had been drinking at a barbecue on Aug. 12, 2018, when he asked his sister-in-law, who was also at the event, for a ride home. During the car ride, the victim said Cooley talked about his fantasies of having sex with her. She said he also “pressed her up against the driver’s side window, forcibly kissed and groped her through her clothes,” according to the statement.

“Vanessa Guillén’s spirit has been with me on this journey and while this process has been incredibly invasive not only for me but also my immediate family and closest friends, I know there are countless other people who have been silenced forever, like Vanessa, so staying silent was simply never an option,” she said.Guillén’s death, along with the #MeToo movement and pressure from Congress, laid the groundwork for prosecutors to secure a conviction against Cooley, VanLandingham said.

“I’m not happy to see this outcome, because there’s a victim and the Air Force is a victim of his misconduct as well,” VanLandingham said. “But it’s good to see that the system is finally willing to hold a senior officer to account for this kind of behavior.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

washingtonpost /  🏆 95. in US

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Air Force Officer Found Guilty of Sex Crime in Court MartialAir Force Officer Found Guilty of Sex Crime in Court MartialA two-star Air Force general was convicted on Saturday for a 2018 encounter in which he cornered a women in her car and forcibly kissed her
Read more »

Split verdict in first-ever Air Force general military trialSplit verdict in first-ever Air Force general military trialAn Air Force major general in Ohio has been convicted by a military judge of one of three specifications of abusive sexual contact in the first-ever military trial of an Air Force general.
Read more »

Split verdict in first-ever Air Force general military trialSplit verdict in first-ever Air Force general military trialAn Air Force major general in Ohio has been convicted by a military judge of one of three specifications of abusive sexual contact in the first-ever military trial of an Air Force general.
Read more »

Man dies at Luke Air Force Base after driving through security checkpointMan dies at Luke Air Force Base after driving through security checkpointGlendale PD is investigating an incident at Luke AFB after a man drove through the south gate and didn't follow proper entry protocols.
Read more »

Sexual misconduct conviction reached in first-ever Air Force trial of major generalSexual misconduct conviction reached in first-ever Air Force trial of major generalAn Air Force major general accused of three sexual misconduct charges was convicted on one charge in Ohio Saturday, the first-ever conviction of a general in the branch's history.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 15:39:29