Hamas will not enter ceasefire talks with Israel this week as tensions rise in the Middle East, the group has confirmed.
Talks were scheduled to take place on Thursday, as world leaders desperately seek a pathway to peace amid fears of a wider war in the region.However, representatives of the militant Palestinian group in Lebanon have today confirmed they have no plans to re-enter talks with Israel.
Any deal is expected to come in the form of a three-phase plan, which would include the return of all Israeli hostages held in Gaza.The US State Department is hoping Qatar will sway Hamas in the coming days, pushing them to take part in peace talks."Our partners in Qatar have assured us that they will work to have Hamas represented," US State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel told the press on Tuesday.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
latest: Another Hamas leader 'eliminated', Israel says - as Iran 'attack order' puts Middle East on edgeThe IDF has claimed a strike last month killed a senior Hamas leader in Gaza, a day after the killing of the group's political chief in Iran. Its supreme leader has vowed revenge on Israel over the killing - though Israel has said it will not comment on the death.
Read more »
Israel’s assassination of Hamas leader will push the Middle East into all out warBoiling hatred is engulfing the region, drowning out all rational calculations about war and peace
Read more »
Why Fears The Hamas-Israel Conflict Could Spread Further Across The Middle East Just SoaredKate is a Senior Trends Reporter at HuffPost UK, covering the day's most compelling stories. She has worked in the national news since she became a qualified journalist and was previously a reporter with Express.co.uk
Read more »
Middle East latest: Hamas leader 'assassinated' in Iran - but Israel has not yet taken responsibilityHamas' political leader Ismail Haniyeh has been killed in Iran, the group said, but Israel has not yet taken responsibility for the attack. The group said he was killed in 'a treacherous Zionist raid on his residence in Tehran'.
Read more »
Hamas names Yahya Sinwar as its new leader as tensions rise in the Middle EastHamas has named Yahya Sinwar as its new overall chief, taking over from Ismail Haniyeh who was assassinated in Tehran last week.
Read more »
Rules of conflict in the Middle East jettisoned after Hamas leader killedWorld leaders have been trying to prevent a surge of violence in the region in recent weeks, but now all previous calculations will be discarded as Hezbollah and Iran vow to respond to the deaths of two key figures.
Read more »