Fort Hare students protest, demand release of 11 charged with public violence

United States News News

Fort Hare students protest, demand release of 11 charged with public violence
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 TimesLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 38 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 59%

Outside the court, protesters sang and danced while a strong police contingent looked on.

University of Fort Hare students picketing outside the Alice magistrate's court on Thursday, demanding the release of students arrested on Wednesday.More than 1,000 protesters picketed outside the Alice magistrate's court on Thursday, demanding the immediate release of 11 University of Fort Hare students arrested a day ago.

The 11 accused, aged between 18 and 29, have been charged with public violence and violation of the National Road Traffic Amendment Act, said Eastern Cape provincial police commissioner Lt-Gen Liziwe Ntshinga. The gates of the court were locked and security beefed up. In the same court, an ANC councillor in the Raymond Mhlaba municipality accused of raping a Fort Hare student was applying for bail.The ANC and the EFF in the province have joined hands to show their support for the young complainant.

Among the ANC bigwigs were the party's provincial secretary, Lulama Ngcukayithobni, and ANC MP and former sports MEC Bulelwa Tunyiswa. EFF councillor in the Raymond Mhlaba municipality Siphiwo Mavuso sat next to the ANC leaders.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TimesLIVE /  🏆 28. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Family confirms release of 'missing' SA student from prison in ChinaThe family of Alfa Mpetsheni, a South African student stuck in a Chinese prison, have confirmed his release and hope he will return home very soon.
Read more »

Family confirms release of 'missing' SA student from prison in ChinaThe family of Alfa Mpetsheni, a South African student stuck in a Chinese prison, have confirmed his release and hope he will return home very soon.
Read more »

KZN Premier Zikalala establishes task team to intervene in student protestsKZN Premier Zikalala establishes task team to intervene in student protestsThe premier said he met with UKZN management and student representatives on Friday and established that both parties had been stubborn during their negotiations but this was now being resolved.
Read more »

Family confirms release of 'missing' SA student from prison in ChinaThe family of Alfa Mpetsheni, a South African student stuck in a Chinese prison, have confirmed his release and hope he will return home very soon.
Read more »

Thousands of hectares of state land to be returned to dispossessed families | IOL NewsThousands of hectares of state land to be returned to dispossessed families | IOL NewsPublic Works and Infrastructure Department Minister Patricia de Lille has announced the release of hundreds of land parcels to South Africans across various provinces.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-04 12:50:37