| Egypt yesterday reported its first fatality from the coronavirus, with the Health Ministry saying a 60-year-old German tourist, who had arrived in the country seven days ago and was taken to hospita
l in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada, had died.
Late on Sunday, the Health Ministry said in a statement that Egypt registered seven new cases - four foreigners and three Egyptians - bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 55. "We are here to respond to rumours saying that there are no tourists and people are afraid of coming. Thank God, people are here," Khaled al-Anani, the tourism and antiquities minister, told state television before the camera panned across to show tourists queuing to enter the site.Tourism an important driver of Egypt's economy
Revenue was a record-high US$12.57 billion in the financial year that ended last July, according to central bank figures. The cruise boat struck by the virus has been towed outside Luxor and placed under quarantine, state media reported. Those who tested positive were flown by military plane for quarantine in northern Egypt.
Maged Fawzi, who heads the country's hotels facilities chamber, said in a statement that ministers had agreed with managers of hotels and cruise ships in Luxor to buy infrared thermometers and to hire a foreign company to check food safety.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
German tourist dies in Egypt, becomes Africa's first virus casualty45 suspected cases aboard a Nile cruise ship were announced on Saturday. FMTNews Virus
Read more »
33 Covid-19 cases detected on Egypt cruise shipNSTworld: The first cases emerged after a Taiwanese-American woman who had been on the cruise tested positive for the coronavirus upon her return home.
Read more »
Egypt confirms 33 new Covid-19 cases on Nile cruise shipAll recent cases found aboard are asymptomatic. FMTNews Egyot
Read more »
Argentina reports Latin America's first Covid-19 deathBUENOS AIRES: A 64-year-old man died of the Covid-19 coronavirus on Saturday in Argentina, authorities said, making him Latin America’s first fatality in the global epidemic.
Read more »
Argentina records Latin America’s first coronavirus fatality | The Malaysian InsightArgentina records Latin America’s first coronavirus fatality
Read more »
Florida reports two Covid-19 deaths, the first in eastern USWASHINGTON: Florida health authorities confirmed Friday two deaths from the new coronavirus, the first US fatalities outside the west coast states of Washington and California.
Read more »