Deadly result as state forces seize ‘loot’ in Durban

United States News News

Deadly result as state forces seize ‘loot’ in Durban
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 TimesLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 58 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 59%

Before the fatal shooting on July 29, activists had expressed grave concern over the manner of the recovery of looted goods.

Shangase — who hails from Umzimkhulu, a rural town about 165km south of Durban — was unemployed at the time of her death. She had been doing piece jobs in Durban’s clothing factories before the Covid-19 hard lockdown was introduced in March 2020.

“She was still breathing ... but only just. A moment later she was dead. It was a sight I never wish even for my worst enemy.” “We don’t even have money to give her a decent funeral. These police officers who shot her must pay for her funeral. They must also pay to raise the children who are left behind. As for me, I lost a soul mate, someone with whom I had been through all the ups and downs of life,” Ngwadla said.

He said the fracas that led to the fatal shooting of Shangase began when the police and the soldiers began forcefully opening and breaking into the locked shacks of people who were not in them. Thandi Mzizi, 44, a member of the local committee of Abahlali baseMjondolo, said there was no need for the police to use such excessive force when coming to conduct the raid.

“My neighbour’s shack has a huge bullet hole. The bullet went through his bed and the T-shirt that was there has [a] bullet hole. Luckily he was not there, he was at work. If he was and had been sitting or sleeping on the bed he would have got shot,” she said, adding that there are several other shacks that had bullet holes after the shooting.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TimesLIVE /  🏆 28. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Grief and wrath as Lebanon marks year since deadly blastGrief and wrath as Lebanon marks year since deadly blastLebanon on Wednesday marks a year since a cataclysmic explosion ravaged Beirut.
Read more »

WATCH: Deadly wildfire races toward Turkish power plantA roaring blaze raced toward a Turkish thermal power plant Tuesday and farmers herded panicked cattle toward the sea as wildfires that have killed eight people raged on for the seventh day.
Read more »

Bheki Cele says police have netted possible 'big fish' in unrest instigation as Phoenix death toll rises to 36Police minister Bheki Cele revealed at a media briefing in Durban on Tuesday that a possible 'big fish' in instigating the recent deadly violence and looting has been arrested.
Read more »

Woolworths ‘Mercedes looter’ to plead guilty to theft and public violenceThe 30-year-old Mercedes-Benz driver went viral on social media after being captured on video footage allegedly looting a Durban Woolworths store.
Read more »

Woolworths ‘Mercedes looter’ to plead guilty to theft and public violenceThe 30-year-old Mercedes-Benz driver who went viral on social media after being captured on video footage allegedly looting a Durban Woolworths store intends to plead guilty to several charges including theft and public violence.
Read more »

Woolworths ‘Mercedes looter’ to plead guilty to theft and public violenceThe 30-year-old Mercedes-Benz driver went viral on social media after being captured on video footage allegedly looting a Durban Woolworths store.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 18:18:42