Mark Meadows becomes the fourth chief of staff in Trump’s three years in office.
Donald Trump parted ways on Friday with acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with conservative lawmaker and close ally Mark Meadows, who was a strong Trump defender during the Democratic impeachment drive.
Meadows is a member of the US House of Representatives from North Carolina and was a combative defender of the president during the impeachment saga, so much so that Trump singled him out for praise at a February 6 event after the Republican-led Senate acquitted the president. A former senior administration official said the change had been a long time in the works and was a “done deal” some time ago.
“I want to thank Acting Chief Mick Mulvaney for having served the Administration so well. He will become the US Special Envoy for Northern Ireland. Thank you!” said Trump.Trump had long groused about Mulvaney, who angered the president last autumn by saying at a White House news conference that Trump had sought to persuade Ukraine to investigate Democratic rival Joe Biden by withholding US aid to Ukraine.
A source familiar with the situation said both Mulvaney and Meadows flew aboard Air Force One with Trump to North Carolina on Monday and there was little warmth between the two men. Trump did not speak to Mulvaney, the source said.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Trump approves US$8.3 billion to fight coronavirus, cancels visit to CDCWASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump called off a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta on Friday, saying he did not want to “interfere” as the agency races to stem the coronavirus that has infected more than 100,000 people globally.
Read more »
'It's going to all work out': Trump downplays virus threat to USUS president also confident the outbreak will not affect his chances at reelection. FMTNews Trump
Read more »
Facebook removes Trump ad | The Malaysian InsightMessage disguised as US census, seeks donation.
Read more »
Make-up artist living in fear after four years of harassment by ex-boyfriendIPOH: A make-up artist is living in fear as she has been harassed by a former boyfriend in the past four years.
Read more »
Platini's appeal against ban dismissed by European Court of Human Rights(Reuters) - Michel Platini, the former head of European football's governing body UEFA, has lost his appeal at the European Court of Human Rights against his four-year ban from soccer.
Read more »
Rooney urges Man Utd fans to be patientNSTsports: “It is going to take another two or three years, I believe,” WanyeRooney told the British press. “The important thing is for them to try and get into the ChampionsLeague this year. ManchesterUnited Derby
Read more »