The announcement comes as suspicions linger that the ruling Communist Party government continues to intentionally under-report the real number of deaths and infections.
China on Tuesday reported no new coronavirus deaths for the first time since it started publishing figures in January, just a day before it plans to lift travel curbs from the contagion's epicentre of Wuhan.
Relief has been tempered, however, by caution over new risks: rising numbers of infected people arriving from abroad, and the invisible threat of asymptomatic cases. "The elderly are quite excited. They feel that because the lockdown will be lifted tomorrow, they can't wait to rush out ," said a 43-year-old Wuhan resident who gave only his surname, Xia.
"After the lockdown is lifted it doesn't mean that neighbourhoods will be totally opened, you will still have to register when coming in and out, and you need the green health QR code," a doctor surnamed Xiao told AFP.Wuhan's government said Monday that 70 residential neighbourhoods initially declared"epidemic-free" had that status revoked"for reasons including asymptomatic cases".
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
No COVID-19 deaths reported in China for the first time since JanuaryBEIJING: No COVID-19 deaths were reported in China on Tuesday (Apr 7), the first time since it started publishing daily figures in January, the ...
Read more »
China reports increase in new coronavirus cases; one deathBEIJING (REUTERS) - Mainland China reported 39 new coronavirus cases on Sunday (April 5), all but one of them imported from abroad, up from the 30 reported a day earlier, as the number of asymptomatic cases also surged.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
China reports increase in COVID-19 cases and 1 more deathBEIJING: Mainland China reported 39 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday (Apr 5), all but one of them imported from abroad, taking its total number of ...
Read more »
As Trump administration debated travel restrictions, thousands streamed in from ChinaDuring that time, the National Security Council staff, the state department and other federal agencies argued about everything from how best to screen for sick travelers to the economic impact of any restrictions, according to two government officials familiar with the deliberations. The NSC staff ultimately
Read more »
China players join clubs after completing quarantineBEIJING: China's men's soccer team have completed their quarantine after returning from Dubai last month and will go back to their respective ...
Read more »
US cites concern over South China Sea after reported vessel sinkingWASHINGTON (REUTERS) - The United States on Monday (April 6) said it was 'seriously concerned' about China's reported sinking of a Vietnamese fishing vessel in the disputed South China Sea, urging Beijing to instead focus on global efforts to fight the coronavirus pandemic.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »