Anthony Antonio told the FBI he went to the Capitol because former President Donald Trump told him to.
More than 400 people have been charged in connection with the January 6 Capitol riot and patterns are starting to emerge in their defenses. Several have argued in court documents that they felt they were following former President
's orders when they stormed the Capitol or that they were acting on the belief pushed by Trump that the election was stolen.that the"blame Trump" defense isn't a strong one because in a trial, defendants will be held accountable for their own actions. Joseph Hurley, Antonio's lawyer, acknowledged to the Associated Press that misinformation is also"not a defense."
"But it will be brought up to say: This is why he was here. The reason he was there is because he was a dumb*** and believed what he heard on Fox News," Hurley said. Antonio allegedly wore a tactical bulletproof vest adorned with a"Three Percenters" patch, a symbol of the militia group, according to court documents. He was arrested in Delaware on April 20 after officers received a tip that he was one of the people law enforcement was looking for in connection with the riot.Anthony Antonio's attorney called him a"dumb***" who believed what Fox News told him, a defense he plans to bring up during his client's trial.
He later told officers the riot wasn't"against" them"personally," but was"against our country" and apologized to them. Antonio was also seen in a video speaking into a bullhorn encouraging people to not"bum rush" him and others who were at the front of the line because they were"trying to work" with the officers.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Fox News fans share their plans for observing Memorial DaySend us your photos! americatogetherfoxnews.com
Read more »
'Disastrous': Donald Trump blames Fox News ratings decline on 'negative guy' Chris Wallace'The people don't want to hear that,' the ex-president said. 'That's why they tune out.'
Read more »
Fox News Intensifies Its Pro-Trump Politics as Dissenters DepartFox News once devoted its 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. time slots to relatively straightforward newscasts. Now those hours are filled by opinion shows led by hosts who denounce Democrats and defend the worldview of former President Donald Trump. For seven years, Juan Williams was the lone liberal voice on “The Five,” the network’s popular afternoon chat show. On Wednesday, he announced he was leaving the program after months of harsh on-air blowback from his conservative co-hosts. Many Fox News viewers cheered his exit on social media. Donna Brazile, the former Democratic Party chair, was hired by Fox News with great fanfare in 2019 as a dissenting voice for its political coverage. She criticized Trump and spoke passionately about the Black Lives Matter movement, which other hosts on the network often demonized. Brazile has now left Fox News; last week, she quietly started a new job at ABC. Sign up for The Morning newsletter from the New York Times On screen and off, in ways subtle and overt, Fox News has adapted to the post-Trump era by moving in a single direction: Trumpward. The network has rewarded pro-Trump pundits like Greg Gutfeld and Dan Bongino with prize time slots. Some opinion hosts who ventured on-air criticism of the former president have been replaced. And within the Fox News reporting ranks, journalists have privately expressed concern that the network is less committed to straight-ahead news coverage than it was in the past. The shifts at Fox News, which is controlled by father-and-son moguls Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch, have come in the wake of what amounted to an existential moment for a cable channel that is home to Trump cheerleaders like Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham: the 2020 election. Fox News’ ratings fell sharply after the network made an early call on election night that Joe Biden, then the Democratic presidential nominee, would carry Arizona and later declared him the winner, even as Trump advanced lies about fraud. With viewers in revolt, the net
Read more »
Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox Bring Their Love On Stage at Indy 500 Weekend ConcertMachine Gun Kelly got a special onstage visit from girlfriend Megan Fox at his Indy 500 weekend concert in Westfield, Ind., on May 28.
Read more »