Britain's Silverstone 'to stage two grands prix' eNCA
The coronavirus outbreak has caused huge disruption to the F1 calendar, withSilverstone managing director Stuart Pringle told the BBC that an agreement in principle had been reached with Formula One to hold the races at the central England circuit, immediately after the season begins in Austria."I am delighted to confirm that Silverstone and Formula One have reached an agreement in principle to host two races behind closed doors this summer," he said.
"However these races will be subject to government approval, as our priority is the safety of all involved and strict compliance with COVID-19 regulations. "I would like to thank all our fans who have been so supportive throughout this and to assure them we are determined to do all we can to help Formula One put on a show this summer."The BBC reported that the agreement would hinge on the government giving dispensation over quarantine restrictions.
The government's coronavirus recovery strategy document sets out an intention to introduce a 14-day quarantine rule for international arrivals, except those from Ireland and France. Organisers are hoping to start the season with the Austrian Grand Prix on July 5 behind closed doors, followed by a second race at the Red Bull Ring a week later.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Exposure worry for Investec if Derby goes behind closed doorsOrganisers working hard to stage race without crowds
Read more »
CHRIS THURMAN: Must empty seats mean deserted stages?With theatre taking to the internet, some are against the filmic move, arguing that film and theatre are distinct art forms
Read more »
Specialist doctor on precautionary suspension after exposing staff, cleaners to Covid-19 patientWhether or not the doctor knew about the patient's Covid-19 status is unclear at this stage.
Read more »
You hoped Cyril would give details on easing lockdown? No such luckMost of SA will move to stage 3 at month’s end, but what that means will only be revealed after yet more consultations
Read more »
TONY LEON: Too many Covid-19 puzzlements an uneasy resonance with pre-Nazi GermanyThe hawks within the ANC seem to be taking centre stage while Ramaphosa appears okay with placating them and the EFF’s stance is hardly pro-labour
Read more »
Monnye Kunupi on her new 'Generations' character: As a parent you can only do so much'Children go through different stages but as a parent you can only do so much, the rest is up to the child.'
Read more »