Australia cranks up Covid-19 curbs with Brisbane lockdown extended, army patrols in Sydney

United States News News

Australia cranks up Covid-19 curbs with Brisbane lockdown extended, army patrols in Sydney
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 TimesLIVE
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 23 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 12%
  • Publisher: 59%

Australia's Queensland state on Monday extended a Covid-19 lockdown in Brisbane, while soldiers began patrolling Sydney to enforce stay-at-home rules as Australia struggles to stop the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus spreading.

Queensland said it had detected 13 new locally acquired Covid-19 cases in the past 24 hours — the biggest one-day rise the state has recorded in a year. The lockdown of Brisbane, Australia's third-biggest city, was due to end on Tuesday but will now stay in place until late on Sunday.

Though Australia's vaccination drive has lagged many other developed economies, it has so far fared much better in keeping its coronavirus numbers relatively low, with just under 34,400 cases. The death toll rose to 925 after the death of a man in his 90s in Sydney. Meanwhile the lockdown of Brisbane and several surrounding areas comes as Sydney, the biggest city in the country, begins its sixth week under stay-at-home orders.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

TimesLIVE /  🏆 28. in ZA

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

COVID-19 | Australia's third-largest city of Brisbane to enter lockdownCOVID-19 | Australia's third-largest city of Brisbane to enter lockdownBrisbane and other parts of Queensland state will enter a snap COVID-19 lockdown from Saturday as authorities race to contain an emerging outbreak of the Delta strain.
Read more »

YouTube suspends Sky News Australia over 'Covid-19 misinformation' concernsYouTube suspends Sky News Australia over 'Covid-19 misinformation' concernsThe YouTube upload features a host claiming that lockdowns have failed, and criticises state authorities for extending stay-at-home orders.
Read more »

COVID-19 | China, Australia ramp up curbs as Delta variant spreadsCOVID-19 | China, Australia ramp up curbs as Delta variant spreadsChina and Australia ramped up COVID-19 curbs as Delta variant cases surged.
Read more »

Covid-19 update: More than 13k cases reported overnightCovid-19 update: More than 13k cases reported overnightThe country currently has a recovery rate of 90.7%, with Gauteng making up the vast majority of new cases and deaths.
Read more »

Sanef saddened by deaths of four journalists from Covid-19 related complicationsThe SA National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) has expressed sadness over the deaths of four journalists who succumbed to Covid-19 related complications.
Read more »

COVID-19 | China says Delta variant behind virus surgeCOVID-19 | China says Delta variant behind virus surgeChina raced to contain its worst coronavirus outbreak in months, as health officials blamed the highly infectious Delta variant for a surge in infections.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 03:29:28