After coronavirus, US colleges worry: Will students come back?

United States News News

After coronavirus, US colleges worry: Will students come back?
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 The Straits Times
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 68 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 30%
  • Publisher: 63%

NEW YORK (NYTIMES) - For years, Ms Claire McCarville dreamed of going to college in New York or Los Angeles, and she was thrilled last month to get accepted to selective schools in both places. But earlier this month, she sent a US$300 (S$427) deposit to Arizona State University, a 15-minute drive from her home in Phoenix.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

NEW YORK - For years, Ms Claire McCarville dreamed of going to college in New York or Los Angeles, and she was thrilled last month to get accepted to selective schools in both places. But earlier this month, she sent a US$300 deposit to Arizona State University, a 15-minute drive from her home in Phoenix.Across the country, students like Ms McCarville are rethinking their choices in a world altered by the pandemic.

Some institutions are projecting US$100 million losses for the spring, and many are now bracing for an even bigger financial hit in the fall, when some are planning for the possibility of having to continue remote classes. The coronavirus forced campuses to shut down at a time when higher education, which employs nearly 4 million people across the country, was already facing major challenges. Population declines are expected to reduce enrollment, even as skyrocketing tuition and student debt have led to questions about whether a college education is worth the cost.

The rest of the bailout amounts to just 1 per cent of total university expenses. College presidents say that won't be enough to protect some institutions from slashing staff and programmes, cutting back scholarships or perhaps even going under. They are asking for at least US$46.6 billion in aid, to be divided equally between institutions and students, in the next stimulus package.

The spring is prime testing season for juniors applying to college in the fall. But dates for the SAT and ACT have been cancelled, and Advanced Placement subject tests have been truncated. On Wednesday, administrators of the SAT and ACT announced that they would develop digital versions for students to take at home if school closures continue into the fall.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

The Straits Times /  🏆 8. in SG

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

With cheers, New York nurses greet reinforcements from across the USWith cheers, New York nurses greet reinforcements from across the USNEW YORK: With loud cheers and applause, medical staff at New York's Northwell Health network greeted 46 nurses on Tuesday (Apr 14) who had ...
Read more »

Airbnb secures new US$1 billion loan on top of US$1 billion bond dealAirbnb secures new US$1 billion loan on top of US$1 billion bond dealAirbnb, whose home rental business is suffering as the coronavirus pandemic freezes global travel, has secured a new US$1 billion loan just days ...
Read more »

New York governor says 'worst is over' as COVID-19 death toll tops 10,000New York governor says 'worst is over' as COVID-19 death toll tops 10,000NEW YORK: New York's governor declared on Monday (Apr 13) that the 'worst is over' for its COVID-19 outbreak providing the state moves sensibly, ...
Read more »

New York governor says 'worst is over' as virus toll tops 10,000New York governor says 'worst is over' as virus toll tops 10,000New York's governor declared Monday that the 'worst is over' for its coronavirus outbreak, despite deaths passing 10,000, as several states began devising a plan to reopen their shuttered economies. The governor, a Democrat, said 671 people had died in New York in the last 24 hours, bringing
Read more »

Cuomo says if Trump ordered New York to reopen, he 'wouldn't do it'Cuomo says if Trump ordered New York to reopen, he 'wouldn't do it'New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday he would not abide by any order that President Donald Trump gave to reopen his state in an unsafe ...
Read more »

COVID-19: Cuomo says if Trump ordered New York to reopen, he 'wouldn't do it'COVID-19: Cuomo says if Trump ordered New York to reopen, he 'wouldn't do it'New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Tuesday he would not abide by any order that President Donald Trump gave to reopen his state in an unsafe ...
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 17:55:36