10 killed in 'heinous' attack on Afghan mine-clearing charity

United States News News

10 killed in 'heinous' attack on Afghan mine-clearing charity
United States Latest News,United States Headlines
  • 📰 NBCNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 39 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 86%

BREAKING: Gunmen kill 10 people and injure 16 in an attack on a mine-clearing organization in northern Afghanistan, the humanitarian group says.

At 9:50 p.m. local time Tuesday an"unknown armed group” entered a de-mining camp in Baghlan Province, north of the capital Kabul, and opened fire killing and injuring HALO Trust staff, the organizationWounded people at a hospital following an attack by gunmen on the HALO Trust mine-clearing organization, in Baghlan Province, Afghanistan on Wednesday.

The Afghan Interior Ministry blamed the Taliban for the attack and said initial reports indicated that eight people had been killed and 14 injured. The reason behind the discrepancy in the number of casualties was not immediately clear. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied the militant group was involved in the attack in response to a query by NBC News.Forty years of conflict has left Afghanistan littered with landmines and other explosives. Tens of thousands of people have been killed or injured by landmines, according to the HALO Trust.

The organization, made famous by Princess Diana who walked through one of its minefields when visiting one of its projects in Angola in 1997, has been destroying explosive items in Afghanistan since 1988.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

NBCNews /  🏆 10. in US

United States Latest News, United States Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Afghan interpreters fear Taliban reprisal despite group’s vow of no revengeAfghan interpreters fear Taliban reprisal despite group’s vow of no revengeOver the past two decades, dozens of Afghan translators have been killed and tortured in assaults by the Taliban, which now says those who served alongside US and NATO troops will be safe when foreign forces leave if they show “remorse”.
Read more »

Afghan Soldiers Gird for Taliban to Attack Cities After the U.S. LeavesAfghan Soldiers Gird for Taliban to Attack Cities After the U.S. LeavesThe coming U.S. withdrawal will cost government troops American air support that provides a crucial edge against the militants, who are poised outside several provincial capitals.
Read more »

Turkey offers to run Kabul airport after NATO's Afghan withdrawal -officialsTurkey offers to run Kabul airport after NATO's Afghan withdrawal -officialsTurkey has offered to guard and run Kabul's airport after the United States and other NATO forces withdraw from Afghanistan, but U.S. officials say Ankara is imposing conditions which need to be resolved as their leaders prepare to meet next week.
Read more »

Turkey offers to run Kabul airport after NATO's Afghan withdrawalTurkey offers to run Kabul airport after NATO's Afghan withdrawalTurkish officials say Ankara made the proposal at a NATO meeting in May when the US and its partners agreed a plan to withdraw troops by September 11 after 20 years of war trying to defeat Taliban forces.
Read more »

Militants gun down mine-clearers in northern AfghanistanMilitants gun down mine-clearers in northern AfghanistanBaghlan police spokesperson says at least 10 men who worked for mine-clearing agency Halo Trust were taken by the Taliban to a room and shot dead.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 02:54:28